Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirai sweet corn - OMGWTFBBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirai sweet corn - OMGWTFBBQ

183 (standard veg temp. Where cellulose degrades) for 30 minutes.

I am not sure if this was so good because this was Mirai sweet corn or because it was the SV process (bagged with butter, lime zest and chipotle flakes), but this was the best corn on the cob I can recall eating.

Have five more ears and will not be doing SV on them all, but man this was good.

Tip for next time. Cut the cob in half, double up and do in the smaller cambro. I did this in the big cambro, and it took an hour to heat hot tap water to 183.
    Attached Files

I love me some corn on the cob and that looks crazy delicious. Glad your results were so good!

Comment

I'm still jealous - see my reply to your post in "Show us what you're cooking IV".

Comment

I use a pretty good sized tub for sous vide. I put just enough water in the tub to operate the sous vide device, then I put a covered pot full of water over a gas burner and soon have plenty hot water to add to my tub so I don't have to wait so long for the sous vide machine to heat it. Especially when doing 183 temp food.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          +1^... My tap water is 135° so I fill the bath tub up half way with that. Then I boil a YUGE pot of water to fill it up and to take it to 185° for veggies.👍

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, in retrospect, there were a lot of things I could have done better. But the corn. My goodness.

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll boil water to help the circulator too. I'll have it starting to heat the hot tap water and I'll boil water at the same time. It takes 8-10 min to boil water on the stove (propane). Without the assist it takes about 30 min for the circulator to 182F.

Even though the first attempt at corn wasn't the best (bag broke in the bath), we've been doing corn this way most of the season (when we're not grilling it). Just add butter to the bag and do 3-4 ears at a time. It is, IMO, so much better than throwing it into a pot of boiling water.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been grilling the corn for the last several years. Never boil. Extractive cooking method. Grilling condenses the flavor. But the SV... and this corn, you could eat it raw it is so good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here