Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever "tie up" something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever "tie up" something

I want to clean up a Pike's Peak roast and tie back up, sous vide, then chill and smoke later.

Just curious of any butcher's twine off flavors.

The wife prefers something that doesn't leave a mark.

Comment

Chefsteps recommends butcher's twine in a SV tenderloin roast, so I think it's okay. They do presear with the string on, so I think it's okay.

If I were really concerned about it, I'd mooglue it together, and then saran the hell out of it, to make a torchon. Did that with turkey thighs last Thanksgiving.

Comment

Jerod Broussard bearing in mind that I don't sous vide .... I use butcher's twine all the time. I have never experienced an issue with off flavors, weird marks, etc. I use OXO Good Grips 100 percent natural cotton twine. I order a 300 foot cone on Amazon for $4.95

I really don't think 100% cotton would be an issue in sous vide?

Comment

Jerod Broussard ... I ditched the twine lately, in that I'm a 1 thumb wonder. I'm not a good with knots. I recently bought some of these silicone cooking bands.👍

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...54f852c8cbbeo0

Comment

• Tim E
            Tim E commented
            Editing a comment
            Silicone bands are $
            I use them all the time. No complaints

LEt me know who those bands work. Are they supposed to be reusable? the ones I got a broke as I was taking them off of the pork butts I was cooking. Or they broke during the cook itself. I was kind of disappointed in them. I am not sure which brand i used though. There must be some good ones otherwise the wouldn't make them anymore. SO I am curious to hear what you think. :]=

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do. I haven't used them yet but I like knowing I have them.👍

I have the bands they're not big enough to go around the roast.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            There are various lengths...

Thanks guys.

Comment

I too would go with the cooking twine. I think the only flavors would be those picked up by the string, not the other way around. I use re-usable cotton tea bags and the only thing I've noticed is that they get darker and darker with each batch of tea. I sometimes let it steep overnight and no off flavors. So I'd say go for it.

Comment

Yes - but no whips...

Comment

I did a small prime rib roast last week and it came tied. No clue why really, it was one solid roast. I thought about removing the twine, but didn't until it was time to slice it. I didn't notice any flavor one way or the other from it....but it was smoked with oak and had BBBR on it, so that surely would've masked it.

I don't understand tying an intact roast, even a deboned pork butt. Doing a stuffed loin or something, then I see the reason. Usually though, gravity helps helps hold a floppy roast together if you set it on the grate right.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't tie any of the butts I did last week. I may tie next time so I can just slip a PBC hook under and go. I barely made it on a few.

Kind of way late on this, but thought I'd add some info for the future, .

We're just finishing up the leftovers of a chuck roast cook: Tied, dry brined, SV, fridge for a week(!), then kettle finish with Mrs O'Leary. I've done chucks without tying, but I think it comes out more uniform with the tie. No flavor from the twine. This is before the twine was removed.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161007_194734973.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	229393
                There were some marks after twine removed.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is sweet. I was just thinking about pulled chuck.

We quit buying butcher's twine since my wife asked about the what, where, when etc. about butcher's twine and the butcher said, "Don't worry about it, you can get it from me. How much do you need?" Needless to say we have about 6 feet left over from the last cook where we needed it. Moral of the story, ask your butcher...or better yet, have your wife bat her eyes at the butcher like my wife does. On that note, I guess I need to send her in with some smoked goodies one of these days for the guys behind the counter.
                Last edited by Craigar; October 12, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here