Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poached eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poached eggs

Breadhead I am at work and not supposed to be surfing the web. However.... I know that you are a master of the Sous Vide poached egg, but I don't have time to search the forum for your preferred time and temperature. Also, do you use room temperature eggs or eggs straight out of the refrigerator? We are going for Eggs Benedict this weekend.

You might want to try sending him a PM.

Here's what he has posted in the past:

"Sous Vide eggs... Poaching an egg for most home cooks is not an easy task. Poaching a dozen eggs for a family breakfast of eggs Benedict would be completely overwhelming for a home cook.

Sous vide style you drop in a dozen eggs, shell on, at 167° for 15 minutes and you have PERFECT poached eggs. Prepare your English muffin, crack the egg open and out drops a fantastic poached egg."

I understand sous vide...I really do...and have used it more than once... And in a commercial/catering setting it can truly be a godsend. Need to get those
    Last edited by gcdmd; August 1, 2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Yno I love eggs Beny. I switch out the canadian bacon with a sausage patty, when I order. Its the best thing ever. but I haven't made it yet because of the whole poached egg thing. I will be watching this thread. Hope someone posts a recipe too!! Thanks for the topic!

Comment

There's 2 ways of doing it. Fast and furious, I call it. The way I do it when just cooking for a couple of people.

Then there's low and slow. The way I do it when there is ANY chance that the breakfast will be delayed, or if I'm cooking for a larger crowd.

Fast & furious... 167° for 15 minutes.

Low and slow... I'm at the coffee shop, not by my Modernist Cuisine books. I think it says 149° for like an hour, or all day. I'll confirm that when I get home in an hour or 2. I like the all day part there. I can start them hours before my guests arrive and leave them in the bath tub until I need to serve them.😆 Make your hollandaise sauce, toast you English muffins, heat up your Canadian bacon and crack a couple eggs.😆😆😆. Woohoo!

You're going love Eggs Benedict done Sous Vide style.👍 It's so easy.
        Last edited by Breadhead; August 1, 2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The Modernist Cuisine temperature for poaching eggs... 154°. Let stay in the water for at least and hour but all day is fine.😆.

I put them in the bath tub right out of the fridge.👍

We do ours for 45min at around 144F and then the yolks are dropped into boiling water for the briefest moment. Got the idea here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/s...bout-eggs.html (Kenji is our go-to for most things sous vide).

Makes awesome bennies. Now all I need to master is sous vide hollandaise.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          It's easier and faster to make hollandaise this way...👌

Hint... I've been making hollandaise sauce that way for 35 years. I don't bother clarifying the butter, never had a problem. The water she says just under boiling, I find works best for me at 160°. I use my thermapen to get to the temp I want. Her technique is great.👍
          Last edited by Breadhead; August 1, 2016, 02:25 PM.

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link. I've been using Knorr and want to step up my game. After all I make my own tonic, bitters, and other stuff.

Thanks all! I'm looking forward to Saturday! I will have to try that method of making Hollandaise, Breadhead . I used to make it in a blender, but the blender bit the dust a while back, and I went back to using a whisk. But I probably won't make the muffins myself this time. We shall see.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Learn to make hollandaise... Then add a vinegar & tarragon reduction to it and you have Bernaise sauce for beef tenderloin.😆

I've made this SV hollandaise and I think I could make a case that it's a lot easier than the double boiler method, in terms of effort, though maybe a bit longer in time.

Consider hollandaise, that unctuous mixture of warm egg yolks and butter. The sauce is so fragile because butter congeals and separates as soon as it cools. And it’s all too easy to overheat the eggs and curdle the sauce. But we show you how to avoid these problems by cooking the eggs sous vide by […]

For a variety of egg textures...
        With sous vide, it’s easy to get eggs exactly how you like them. Use our Egg Calculator to find your perfect egg.

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you use a whipping siphon or just mix and serve? I'm not into doing the foams yet so haven't gotten that type of siphon.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep think about buying the siphon but I'm trying to control my MCS...😆

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I just used the stick blender and served this past weekend. Wife and guest were kind of iffy on having it whipped. Outvoted 2:1. But I have plenty left, so maybe 1:1, I can break the tie and whip it real good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here