Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Technique - Purge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lLowjiber View Post
    I'm just putting my toe in the SV waters
    OK ... There's a joke in there somewhere ... just need a little more caffeine to think of a good one ...

Comment

• Lowjiber
      Lowjiber commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL... I'm glad someone appreciated my somewhat lame joke. Thanks

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you ever read the Amazon questions about the Anova? It's hilarious how many people are looking to use a sous vide device to warm their feet.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That'd be one way. But one wonders.

Last night I sous vide a mini prime rib roast that I coated with Cow Crust prior to cooking. The purge was excellent in the au jus I made. Gave the au jus the same flavor as the rub. Perfect match. I sautéed a clove of garlic in evoo, added about a half cup of cabernet and reduced till syrupy. Then added a can of Campbell's consume and a sprinkle of beef base and the purge. Reduced a bit and man was it tasty. Thanks for posting this process/technique!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds fantastic. Flavoring purge is the main reason to put anything in the bag.

I could (almost) drink this it smells so good. Thanks Potkettleblack! This is from my chuck roast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1116.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	267637

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What'cha gonna do with that?

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF probably going to add it to my pulled beef. If I had some mashed taters...

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Good use. Adding it back is a lot like crutching a chuckie and then adding the drippings back.

Am new to this, so please bear with me.

Have tried filtering, as suggested, a couple of times now. It seems to be a terribly slow process, that is much longer for this stuff to drip through a coffee filter than say... coffee. Have even had the filter rupture (#4 cone type), releasing the cloudy mess into the clarified, I assume just from weakening over time with liquid in it.

Could it be that the cuts I have attempted (shank) are such collagen rich, that it is just gumming up the works? I thought maybe thru a fine strainer first, to remove some of the larger bits of albumin protein, then thru the coffee filter. Still it seemed to be a less than fruitful effort.

Am I the only one who experiences the very long filtering times, or is it just something to be expected?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a coffee filter in a mesh strainer. If there's a lot of albumin, it's probably clogging the filter. If you can skim some of that, it should flow better. If it's really collagen rich, as shank purge would be, it might be that a skim and a fine mesh is gonna be good enough.

Slapping my forehead gently because of my recent injury... Today is the first time I've seen this tremendous post.🙀

Potkettleblack ... this fills in lots of blanks about Sous Vide cooking for me. I've struggled with how to properly use the purge from day one of my SV cooking exploration. I salute both you and John Henry for your contributions on this topic.🤗

Thanks again... I feel more informed now!👏

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy to help. You can use unfiltered purge, but it comes out muddled and cloudy.

great thread love the knowledge, even though I do not have a sous vide,............. yet.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Add a SV circulator to your MCS wish list... you're going to love it.😎

I did my first roasts sous vide recently and knew the juices had potential but... I whiffed hard. Now I understand what happened. Thanks. I got an idea for... heck, I bet that would make a lovely addition to French onion soup.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Would kick up the flavor of the consommé.

Is microwaving absolutely necessary? Or can you just strain through the coffee filter?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to coagulate the albumin. Boiling is the most efficient way. Microwave is the fastest way to that. You could cook on the stovetop.

Thank you Potkettleblack for this tutorial! The microwave trick is a game changer. I used it this week with 2 prime strips cooked from frozen at 131. Was surprised to see almost 80% of the purge coagulated, but I strained and deglazed some asparagus with the liquid and got high marks with SWMBO.

Comment

Great tutorial indeed!

Comment

Tried this for the first time tonight using some SV Pork Tenderloin purge. For years I have ruined a pan sauce or two. Not anymore! This trick just worked FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for this tip man. The goobers just coagulated up into a huge ball. Didn't even need to strain. Just carefully poured out the goodness into my pan sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4684.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	425066

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to see you rocking and rolling in the kitchen again, Lonnie.

Thanks brother! This was a revelation to me and my Diablo Mustard reduction sauce over my SV Tenderloins! I'll never do it any other way now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	425112

Comment

I guess that I somehow missed this when it originally posted. Thanks everyone for the wonderful information! Maybe I'll finally be able to make a decent sauce for SV'd proteins!

Comment

Excellent post.

Comment

Why had I not seen this before? I've been nuking the purge, hoping for some tasty filtered juice, but most is solid; very little liquid, at least for shorter cooks. Perhaps this works best the longer the cook?

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Depending on how they were frozen, ice crystals of various size are formed in the meat. When they defrost, the fibrils are torn, depending on how the item was frozen. The faster the freeze, the smaller the crystals.

Meat that's been twice frozen will give you a lot of purge. Fresh will give you less.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I always learn something new from your posts. Thanks so much, Potkettleblack .

K.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                When I am able, I might own a PBC, and everything from you I've read will repay me more than twice.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here