Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Technique - Purge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potkettleblack - just read this tutorial. Found it while googling for a red wine purge reduction. Thanks for the insight. I had no idea how to use the purge.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh brother... you are in for a treat. The short ribs put out a good amount of purge for the weight.

Perfect purge post. I tried a coffee filter. Seemed too much of the good liquid ended up in the filter. I do have a super fine metal Chinese oil skimmer/filter that works but it plugs up too and needs to be rinsed between purges. Maybe I'll go to the oriental market and look for a bigger one. I love serving meat with the jus.

Comment

A centrifuge would work but that will have to wait until I win the lottery.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        You can probably use a dremel and a 3d printed test tube holder.

I use a fine small strainer with cheese cloth to catch the big pieces

Comment

ROSEMARY/SAGE/GARLIC PORK PUDDING
        I had seen this post only a couple of months ago, as I finally was using my Joule and getting good results. But, had forgotten the details. Tonight I SVd two pork chops that I had allowed to defrost in their bags, then added the herbs, no salt, some black pepper, a little EVOO. Re-sealed, and SV'd.

I didn't take the time to find this thread, but instead poured the purge through a strainer, but didn't microwave or boil first. Made a small butter/flour light brown roux, then added the strained liquid, stirred, and presto!

I regret not taking a photo of the pudding that resulted. I tried putting it next to the chops after searing them, but my wife ignored the pale beige goop. It was like that magic putty, you could move it around and it assumed a new shape each time.

BUT, it tasted good! I ate it when my wife wasn't watching. Pork pudding. Yum. (Next time I will microwave before filtering.) Thanks for the tutorial, Potkettleblack. Good things happen in Berwyn.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          You could boil on the stove and skim as well.

When you rummage through the freezer and come across a package of frozen "chicken purge" it takes one aback. Sorting through and finding the correct corresponding mental image takes a few nanoseconds, for me at least.

Purge is good stuff. It's great that Potkettleblack opened our eyes to it with this topic.

P.S. I used that chicken purge in a green chicken enchilada sauce. Yum.

Kathryn

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to ask if you could do it with chicken purge but young lady you enlightened me, thank you 😎😎😎

Forgot how great this post was/is. Great to see it back up.

Comment

What a great post, full of cool, nerdy information. I’ve just recently gotten into SV and QVQ techniques and really enjoy the results from this combination of cooking methods. My question concerns the smoke that infuses the meat and what comes out in the resulting purge. I know just enough about the subject matter to be dangerous so forgive my ignorance going forward.

I’ve read some posts in here that suggest a SV after an initial smoke extracts not only the liquids but the smoky flavor as well. I’ve also read that smoking after the SV is futile because the meat won’t uptake any more smoke. If these are both true, what’s the point of either Q step if it’s done in an attempt to infuse smoky flavor? What’s your experience in this regard? I’m also interested in the scientific explanation for what happens. E.g., what do the smoke molecules bind to in the meat that would either 1) cause them to be extracted or 2) allow them to remain, during the SV?
          Last edited by WayneT; August 8, 2022, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke particles are so small, they can go right through the bag. They don’t all do so. But you get a Smokey flavor when SVing a smoked product.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            That said, to my taste, the pre and post smoke add to bark formation and smoke flavor. Your mileage may vary.

So after dry brine - sous vide and chilled… should I remove the meat from the purge when waiting to grill? Should I wait until prepping for the kettle for separating meat from purge?
          Last edited by StrikeBBQ; September 2, 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Just saw this thread. Purge (Sous Jus) is good stuff! Earlier this week I did a couple racks of Dino Beef Ribs 72 hours at 136deg in the Sous Vide bath, then smoked for a few hours low & slow for a nice crust. I strained all the Sous Jus and had a full cup of yummy rich beefy Sous Jus and then put it in a fat strainer for a couple hours to let it separate any fat out, and then put it in ice cube trays to freeze up, and kept them in a ziplock freezer bag to use when I want in the future.
          Last edited by nikolausp; January 6, 2023, 06:36 PM.

Comment

nikolausp , did you heat that purge in the microwave or cooktop and strain it to get the albumin out as described in the original post here? If not, you may want to consider doing it.

Dr. Pepper 's post here that describes what happened when he didn't heat his purge to isolate and filter out the albumin. Basically it looks bad but tastes good. Which is not all bad.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              nikolausp , did you heat that purge in the microwave or cooktop and strain it to get the albumin out as described in the original post here? If not, you may want to consider doing it.

Dr. Pepper 's post here that describes what happened when he didn't heat his purge to isolate and filter out the albumin. Basically it looks bad but tastes good. Which is not all bad.

Kathryn
              That's one thing I learned from reading this thread yesterday, so I'll be doing that NEXT time haha.... I'll also do it when I use the frozen "cubes" I have in the freezer. 👍🏼

Yesterday I also found this super detailed post from this site, on this very topic.....That's where I got the "Sous Jus" name that I like haha.

What to do with those  juices… It wasn’t so long ago that chefs routinely discarded the juices left in the bag after sous vide processing. This cloudy liquid carries the flavor of the particular protein, but it also contains denatured myoglobin and albumins. If not removed, these congealed proteins create a smell and/or taste somewhat […]
              Last edited by nikolausp; January 7, 2023, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link to that interesting article, nikolausp . I really enjoyed reading it. I had never heard about adding powdered egg white to help clarify the purge. I learn something new every time I come to this site.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                  Thanks for the link to that interesting article, nikolausp . I really enjoyed reading it. I had never heard about adding powdered egg white to help clarify the purge. I learn something new every time I come to this site.

Kathryn
                  Ya , that's a good site. I found that site when Troutman mentioned it in some old post I found the other day. I'm thinking that site is where Troutman learned to put the egg white slurry on various meats to act as a slather/binder to help aid in a good crust. I found a couple old posts where he mentioned doing it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here