Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide bacon

Have to do this very soon. Maybe while I smoke a pork brisket.

You should immediately resign your position as a Moderator for posting that! SV bacon, really?!? I can't even begin to say anything that would not be immediately deleted from a family forum. The only thing that comes to mind is that you are a son of a motherless goat!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      At least you didn't tell me I would die like dogs.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I love my dogs. I would never compare you to them after you made this post.
      Last edited by boftx; July 15, 2016, 12:47 AM.

I like Chef Steps! I wish I had all their gadgets!! Found it interesting he just plopped the prepackaged bacon in the water lol
    Last edited by GadjetGriller; July 15, 2016, 01:56 AM. Reason: missspelled Bacon??

Comment

Saw that, came through my chef steps subscription. Sadly, my wife does not allow me to eat much bacon. But, I sure will try if she goes on vacations or something! Life with a health nut can be trying at times.

Comment

We saw this too, my wife doesn't seem very interested in it either. I've got to make it happen though. You never know until you try! Looking forward to your opinion.

Comment

I got this from my subscription as well. Chef Steps is awesome. They do tend to sous vide everything possible. I will try this some day. Interested to hear anyone's opinion after they try it.

Comment

Bacon belongs on the flat side of my GrillGrates not in my bath tub.πŸ™„

Comment

My wife said it would probably be good. She doesn't have to have crispy and doesn't mind a gummy texture.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ewwwww!

my wife would love a nice gummy pile of wimpy bacon. i would eat it, begrudgingly.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I consume it if in beans.

I'm willing to give it the full 48 hours. But a whole pound of bacon for the two of us seems a wee bit on the excessive side. Maybe the extra thick...

You'll note they start with a superior bacon.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I got 7 mouths in the house, 14 if you count how much they love bacon.

They are getting carry away with the SV crap. I'm thinking seriously of selling mine Anova.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                It's an obsession just like BBQ and bread baking.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† The great thing is I can do all 3 at once.πŸ‘Œ

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing says you have to do any particular project with sous vide. But, the unexamined life...

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              They are getting carry away with the SV crap. I'm thinking seriously of selling mine Anova.
              It's all about choosing the right tool for the job. I would never try to drive nails with a screwdriver nor tighten screws with a hammer. Neither would I sell my hammer just because someone posted something about how great his Estwing framing hammer handles phillips head screws ... so great that, point forward, he'll only use that hammer for screws.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't recalled saying crap about a hammer, screws, nails or a screwdrivers. As far as selling something if I don't like it I sell it.

I did it. About 11 hours. I seared mine one one side, wife's on both. Produces a mild hamminess to the bacon that I'm not sure wasn't part of the cure. The meat portion was maybe a wee bit more tender than normal but the fat did that thing that SV does to pork fat, that odd kind of render that yield a very tender but firm creaminess/gelatinousness.

I will likely do this again. I will get the pan much hotter and put the rendered gunk from the bacon package in the pan before adding the bacon and let it get a good sear on one side. I had one slice where I did it 100% right and it was a fantastic slice of bacon.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if the cat approves or not. I'm thinking 24 hours might do me better. Is that the newest SV addition to the family??

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Memorial painting of our cat Elliot. Not sure what extra time will do, but worth investigating.

Yeah, I'm about 6 or 7 moons late to the game here, but I bought the Joule a week ago and just tried this. I cooked a package of bacon sous vide at 147.2 (yes, the exact ChefSteps recommended temperature) for about 18 hours. I used a premium quality thick sliced bacon that we frequently buy. After searing on both sides on a 400F griddle, the family consensus is that the result is noticeably better than regular cooking. The flavors were richer and it had a nicer texture - the meat more tender and the fat more creamy as described by others on this thread. High temperature searing gave it a nice crunchy layer as well.

I have cured and smoked my own bacon many times, using a savory combination of herbs for a seasoning. After seeing the results of sous vide on the store-bought variety, I am off to Newark to my favorite pork store to buy a belly. My regular process is to cure with salt and herbs for 5+ days, then cook low and slow on the WSM to an internal temp of 150F. I put a few hunks of apple wood in at the beginning of the cook. I think I will insert a sous vide cook for 12-18 hours before the WSM cook, then smoke for an hour or three to get the smoke flavor I like. I hope I remember to come back here afterward to post results...

MBMorgan, Potkettleblack, Breadhead - I agree wholeheartedly. A new toy and a different technique to explore. Apply it in the right places and maybe we find new things. Some may be better, some not, and some just another approach to achieve the same result. I like that I can just shout across the house to Alexa and know what the temperature is and how much time is left.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                cdevito what's the name of your favorite pork store in Newark?

• cdevito
                cdevito commented
                Editing a comment
                It's Lopes Meat Market on Walnut street. I describe it as a place where you can buy all the parts to reassemble a pig, snout to tail, including most of the internals...

Kenji from Serious Eats likes it too. Maybe I'll have to give it a try. I don't have a health nut on my shoulder and bacon is a quick fix comfort food for me. 2 overstuffed grilled cheese and bacon sammiches for din din last night. Yum

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here