Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide and Well Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide and Well Done

I know too many people who like their steaks well done (Don't tell anybody). Does anybody know what a sous vide does for well done beef?

Thanks

About what other methods do for it. Squeezes out moisture. Will render the fat a bit differently, so might be an improvement.

What I might recommend is not wasting tender cut money on these people. No ribeye, no strip, no tenderloin, no t-bone/porterhouse. Instead, hangers, flat irons, skirts, flanks and short ribs. You can SV these cuts very long, 10-48 hours, breaking down the connective tissue, at a 140-145 temp, and producing tenderness like the steakhouse cuts, and medium and beyond meat texture. I don't do things to well done, so I'd look around the Google for time/temp ideas. What happens to the connective stuff in a short rib in 72 hours is incredible. But that's in the 129-135 range in my experience.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; August 5, 2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Does a good job on cheap cuts like top round steak too.

I'd suggest getting one select grade of whatever you are going to cook and do a test cook.

Comment

I do not own a sous vide. Just wondering if I bought one how it would do well done.

Comment

Sous vide is simply amazing! It is now my preferred method for cooking. For a well done strip, 60-80 minutes at 165 followed by a quick sear in cast iron or a hot grill. You'll be a believer.

Comment

Are there any ratings or reviews here on amazing ribs. Not sure what category to look under.

Thanks

Comment

I own a Sous Vide Supreme Demi and a Nomiku and have a Nomiku wifi on a truck somewhere between Ogallala Nebraska and Chicago.

There are two basic models of SV device. Water ovens and immersion circulators. I use my water oven a lot more frequently, but I only cook for two. It has a limited capacity, being its own container. It is more temperature stable, quieter and I believe more cost effective to run. But I'm not doing a full rack of ribs or a pork shoulder in the Demi.

I use the Nomiku (and I would recommend getting the Anova or waiting for the Joule and avoiding the Nomiku people as if they had the plague, were made of unstable uranium and were wearing suicide bomb vests) for anything oddly shaped (ribs), anything large (brisket) or anything smoked (smoke particles go through the plastic bags, make water muddy... Don't want in my easy to clean but bulky SVS Demi).

In a poll in my Sous Vide group, I'm the only person who prefers the water oven. I suspect others don't have one and get caught up on the capacity control issue. That said, the Anova is the most popular device.

I saw it at Target yesterday, which bent my mind, as I remember when ICs cost $700+ and were the province of Michelin starred restaurants.

I believe the Anovas go on sale fairly regularly. But that's what I would probably do if I had nothing. If I were patient, Joule. Has some neat features like a lower minimum water level and the magnetic base.

Comment

Good news! The Anova is on sale for $50 off - try this link. http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...1&e=6890e0773d

BTW the Joule won't ship until September to those who preordered, kind of a bummer as I ordered way back for delivery in May. Oh well, I'll just have to continue to plug along with my Anova (2) and Sous Vide Supreme. Both are outstanding units-just another tool for my tool belt. Also cooking prime cuts to well done is no different than grinding up prime ribeye for hamburger - whatever the customer (individual) wants.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                The Anova seems to be $50 off at least once a quarter of not once a lunar cycle.

I feel for any Joule backer. I was backer 32 on Nomiku 2, with expected delivery in March. Of 2015. It's currently en route.

• badf00d
                badf00d commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack - Joule backer here and still looking forward to it. I was backing the Nomiku WiFi but finally gave up. I use my VacMaster SV1 (built like a tank!) all the time, and wanted to add one more circulator.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                SVCS is real. I am kind of the opposite. I was an early backer on Nom, gave up faith, but had experience with them later delivering the first Nom, so hung in anyway, and couldn't justify Joule, when I'm gonna look for a new home for my Nom 1.

I have read much about The Joule, and if it's the product of Chefs' Eats, I know it will be a quality product. That said, I am really happy with my Anova II which I use with a matching plastic bucket and Anova fitting lid I bought on Amazon. Tomorrow I begin my three-day packer brisket cook following the Chefs' Eats recipe(I will modify the rub, using Meathead's Memphis Dust). If interested, I'll chronicle the cook with photos!

Comment

• badf00d
                badf00d commented
                Editing a comment
                Memphis Dust instead of BBBR?

Anova web-site use (anova-d22c3dsd) save $50.00. Cost $129.00

Comment

wahuwa73 We would love to see photos of your cook. I have never tried Memphis Dust on beef because beef usually doesn't like sweetness. It likes pepper. Have you had Memphis Dust on beef before?

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wahuwa73 :+1 on pics of the cook and your opinion on Memphis Dust vs. BBBR.

Originally posted by wahuwa73 View Post
                a matching plastic bucket and Anova fitting lid I bought on Amazon.
                $27 just for the lid? And it's not insulated?? No thanks! Buy a 22 qt cooler at Walmart for $19.99 and cut a hole with a 3" hole saw. I have 2 dedicated SV cookers, one large and one small, for less money than you paid for that bucket and custom lid. For shorter cooks, just use a stock or soup pot.

Comment

I would put leather in the bag heat it up and serve it. Just say, Steaks don't get well done. Leather does.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha! +1

Anyone who asks for well done at my house gets asked to leave. 😝

Comment

I have yet cook a well done steak that taste like leather. They are ALWAYS juicy and tender. I like medium rare myself but the wife like hers well done and I will give her what she wants. BTW, I wouldn't ask anyone to leave my house if they wanted a well done steak. I will cook it for them and make them smile.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here