Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide brisket

3rd times the charm. I just did 2 briskets for a crawfish boil/bbq party via sous vide (large cooler with aquarium heater water fountain pump and dorkfood dsv). First I did the dry rub and smoked them at 180 for 2 hours (Memphis Pellet Grill) to get a good smoke flavor. Off the grill and sealed them with Food Saver in expandable bags then sous vide at 138 for 72 hours. Removed them from the bags and kept the juice, then back on the memphis at 220 for 3 hours to get a good bark. Cut up the points in cubes and took the juice from the sous vide bags placed in a foil pan on the grill and cranked up the heat to 700 and reduce until juice was gone and I had crispy burnt ends. This was my third attempt at Sous Vide briskets and by far the best.

Sounds good. I have been tempted to try brisket sous vide. How do you feel this brisket compares to a traditional brisket done 100% in the pit in terms of flavor, moistness, ect?

Comment

Flavor was the same as a 12 hr smoke moistness was better and it did not dry out as quickly after slicing and sitting for a while. Texture was different but not in a bad way. It was harder to slice thin because it was so tender.

Comment

PaddyMcTexan "It was harder to slice thin because it was so tender." That is a good problem to have!! I have been thinking about Sous Vide(ing) a brisket flat or point just to see how they came out. I may incorporate (IE: Steal) your ideas!!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard LOL this is great everybody is giving me ideas for future cooks! I love it. this is one I would have to build up to. (I need a much bigger water bath to hold a whole brisket. Wonder if the Anova could keep the temp up in an area that large? Only one way to find out I guess.

• PaddyMcTexan
          PaddyMcTexan commented
          Editing a comment
          Gadgetgriller - Anova Precision Cooker can heat 4-5 gallons of water. So a 16 or 20 qt ice chest would work. I have a smaller ice chest "Coleman Excursion Cooler" cut a hole in the top for the Anova to slide in and keep the top closed when I am cooking cheap cuts of steaks.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          good to know PaddyMcTexan I bet the cooler helps it maintain temp as well great idea!

Sweet cook.

I should do this with all these stinkin' Selects.

Comment

Last year, I did the full Chef Steps smokerless smoked brisket. Result was very good, but not quite the same. Of course, when you do about 15 things to increase smoke flavor without using any actual smoke, what was my expectation, exactly? Most impressive/ridiculous was the smoke ring. Doing it your way would probably improve the smoke profile, while producing the same quality meat. Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket Rub.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	184245 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	184249 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 3.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	184247 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 4.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	184248 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 5.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	184250 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 6.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	184246

First brisket I'd ever made. Injected and brined for two days with smoked salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke. (you can see a theme right there).

Add some prague powder to the brine and let it sit for another 2-3 hours (creates the smoke ring... different route to the same chemical reaction that makes the smoke ring).

I glazed the rinsed brisket with grade B maple, liquid smoke and soy sauce. Into the bag and soak for for 24 hours at 154*F.

When done with the bath, paint again with the glaze, rub it with a mix of smoked salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, black pepper, mustard powder, onion powder and garlic powder, then roast in a 257*F oven for three hours or 302* oven for an hour, then ten minutes of 390* (chefsteps is really particular about timing... I think I'd just throw in on the grill now, with smoke for 3 hours of low). I think I did the higher/faster.

It wasn't quite what I would get from Rub Backcountry or Smoque, but it was pretty damn good for the first brisket I'd ever made.

Comment

Yeah I tried the Chefs Steps as well and I really didn't like the finished product. I probably did something wrong so I am sticking to a traditional smoke on my Klose BBQ Pit or Sous Vide. Yours looks good though!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Their recipes are very finicky. Not a ton of room for improvisation or tweaking. A few of them are more forgiving, but I had a recipe of a sauce go wonky because my sous chef (wife) used the box grater fine face instead of the microplane on some parmesan.
              Finicky.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              They came out pretty good. The bark would satisfy people who have never had good brisket, which might be a lot of their users.

• PaddyMcTexan
              PaddyMcTexan commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I am definitely not any where close to being in their class of cooking. But I sure like to grill and smoke and like my Cooking Gadgets.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here