Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor man's sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    That would have probably been better, but I didn't think to do that.

• snowandsmoke
    replied
    Would dunking it while still frozen have detrimental effects? I would think that it would thaw pretty quick and not be much different.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply

• HouseHomey
    replied
    RonB don't tell anyone but long, long ago before I had an idea what real BBQ was like I did the same with racks of back ribs. I was a lousy BBQ'er then (but thought otherwise about myself) and would make racks of ribs when they were on sale. I would vac seal them when they cooled and freeze them in 1/2 rack packs. As a single father (at the time) I did that with a lot of food. I would drop them in simmering water and they were far better then the original cook. They were delicious. (Of course at the time I did not know what SV was.) I was an instant rock star with the neighborhood kids. Please don't tell anyone I did that.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 20, 2016, 02:26 AM. Reason: Spelling, as always.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    started a topic Poor man's sous vide

Poor man's sous vide

We were invited to a friend's house for a cookout last night, so I took the last hunk of smoked butt out of the freezer a few days ago so that it would defrost. Yesterday, around noon, I took it out of the fridge and put in in a pot of water on the stove and set the burner on the lowest setting. As the temp settled, I gradually upped the temp until the pot settled at 170* and let it sit until 5 PM. I then removed the butt from the pot, took it out of the vacuum bag, and shredded it. It was much more tender than when I pulled it off the grill originally. Of course, the bark had softened, but I think it softens anyway when I pull it unless I serve it right away, so I was very happy with the results. This worked well enough that I will do it again if I have time.

I know it didn't really happen 'cause I didn't take pics, but I was supposed to be at the cookout at 5, so no time.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here