Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Arrived

So I orderd an Anova Sous Vide cooker (they were having a sale and I have a weak will). First thing I did was a couple of ribeyes. Seasoned them and put them in food saver bags, sealed the bags and dropped em into the water at 135f for about 3.5 hours. Seared them on the Kamado Joe right over the coals to get the outside to get a nice crust and served them up. They turned out really well. Sorry I didn't take any pics, but I am looking forward to seeing what this thing can do with cheap cuts of meat over a long period of time.

Anyone have any recipe recommendations? I'd love to be able to turn cheap steak into something tender and awesome with this thing...

You might want to try a Tri-Tip roast. I like to SV them overnight and sear them on my grill. You can even buy the pre seasoned ones from Costco that come in a cryovaced package. Just leave it in its original package and put it in the bath tub. Then take it out of the package and blot it dry and apply some beef love to it and add some BBBR/Memphis Dust before you sear it. This is some pictures of that exact cook I did last night...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; May 20, 2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That is one beautiful roast, Breadhead . Congrats on a job well done. I wish we lived close to a Costco.

Kathryn

Looks great Breadhead thanks. I haven't cooked a tri-tip yet so this might be the right introduction!

Comment

Tri tip not sous vide is tri tip not consumed by me.

My next planned sous vide is some typically tough catfish filets.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah... Cooking fish Sous Vide is the only way to go! Sear it in a skillet and you're done.👍

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead I have a fish basket I want to test out over some hot coals.

I still can't Speak any Souix that is decent in Mixed Company, but That Souix Vee Doo Tri Tip Roast looks fit to eat!
      👍👍👍👍👍
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 20, 2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

In the same boat, ordered one while it was on sale. It has sat in a corner of my kitchen waiting for me to get motivated. Getting there, maybe tomorrow? Not sure what I will try first, wish I could find one of those tri tip roasts, have to look around for one. I was going to modify a cooler as my "bath" thought I had one, turned out I did not. So, that has slowed the process as I tore two houses apart looking for it. (turned out, I threw it out) Maybe out today to go buy a cheap cooler to cut and modify for my "bath".

Comment

chudzikb ...

Go to a restaurant supply store and buy an inexpensive plastic container. Mine is a 5 gallon container. Don't worry about sealing the top. Evaporation is NOT a big problem. I fill it to the top before going to bed and over an 8 hour period it will go down about and inch.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            chudzikb ...

A Tri-Tip would be a great first cook.😋

• chudzikb
            chudzikb commented
            Editing a comment
            If I can find one, from my research, seems like it is more of a CA thing.

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got one like that with soft plastic lids. I cut one lid to fit around the unit and left one lid whole. The lid is mainly to keep stuff out of the water (it's under the hot sauce shelves and sometimes a bottle will get knocked).

No tri tip to be found near where I live.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            You might have it in your grocery store and not know it. Look at the package above at post #2. You might have seen it and not known what it was if you're not familiar with Tri-Tip roasts. There are many brands that package tri tips like this but the packaging all looks the same.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tip Breadhead!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            👍. fuzzydaddy.😎

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here