Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket

I have a 6.5 lbs flat that I sous vide for 24 hours at 154 F.

See the pictures. It's still in process.

After the rapid chill, I put it on the smoker. Trying to get some bark, and check tenderness at 160 IT. (Thanks for the help Jerod!)

What should I do with all that au jus? Any suggestions?

Use that stuff in a rich red wine sauce!!

Comment

Sweetness. I have one resting on the counter right now. Got held up at church and it was at 205 by the time I got home. Twas wrapped so plenty moist. Trying to fend off the humanoids a bit longer so it can get "right."

Comment

Jerod Broussard It is at 181 internal temp and still not tender! Any help???

I wrapped it for now. Do I really need to take it up to ~200 to get it tender?

Comment

Ya might. I've had some where after HOURS at below 190 temps just didn't loosen up until I topped the 200 mark.

These burnt ends were goooood!
          Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Those burnt ends are beautiful. Wish you were nearby!

Gotcha. Ok. Hoping wrapping will get things tender. I'm 0-2 on briskets, so I'm hoping to be batting .333 after today.

Comment

Jerod Broussard It's at 203, and tender and some spots of the flat, but not tender in other parts (yet still ~203 or more). Do I just wait until ALL parts of the flat is tender and not worry about temp?

Comment

(at least 203 in the thickest part of the flat)

Comment

205 is my max. Never seen any temp over that really do any better. A good warm rest evens everything out.

Comment

A good warm rest is the ticket for me. I have tried both faux cambro (spelling lol) and not and find the fax cambro works better...

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  faux cambro - you got it! fax cambro - nope.

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just call it a rest in the Cooler! lol I actually have the cooler that is pictured by the definition of Faux cambro (the Blue one with wheels!) That is the only reason I get the Sunday paper so I have layers below and above the foiled meat!

The worst briskets I ever cooked were so due to not giving them a warm enough rest. It seems a Select likes a very warm rest for as long as you need.

A good Choice that has gotten to 205 while wrapped in a 325 degree oven just needs to sit on the counter for an hour or so.

Comment

I will admit, I THOUGHT I was in the very center of the thickest part and it was reading 203-205. I then started sliding my Thermapen out of the brisket a touch and it was suddenly 200. So, I learned that you really need to "finagle" it around to ensure you really are in the "center-center". More parts of the brisket are now more tender, so I'm feeling better about myself

Jerod Broussard you are truly an expert with briskets. We can all follow Amazing Rib's recipe and article, but may I request a post from you with your "secrets"? I mean, you can cook a Select and it turns out awesome. I'm working on a Choice now, and I'm barely holding on! HAHA!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Experience is not the best teacher, it is the ONLY teacher.

• scottranda
                    scottranda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I guess secrets are meant to be secrets! You dog! Thanks for the help though! You rock!

A couple hours of nice toasty warm "rest" in the faux cambro & you'll be golden! Enjoy!

Comment

Freeze your au jus in and ice cube tray and then seal in zip lock or vacuum seal bag. Next time you are making a red wine sauce or a gravy you can nuke however many cubes you want.

Comment

So, we ate it. It was pretty average. Disappointing. It was sort of tough and definitely dry. Was hoping sous vide would be the trick.

Next time, maybe I SV it longer at a lower temp? And then inject the brisket with the purge after the SV bath?

I was surprised it took it to get to 205 for me to even think about taking it off the smoker. Thought it would be much lower than that since I SV'd it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here