Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Beef Short Ribs -- Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Beef Short Ribs -- Sous Vide

I'm SV'ing boneless beef short ribs for 48 hours at 144 degrees.

I'm either going to serve this over pasta, or over a potato puree. I'm thinking about the AR Red Wine Sauce for the topping. Has anyone tried it over a pasta? Or over a potato puree?

I also plan to pat it dry after it comes out of the SV, then put some salt/pepper and sear it. Does that sound like a good plan?

More pictures as the cook progresses (aka in 48 hours).
    Last edited by scottranda; May 10, 2016, 05:16 PM.

It does. Can't wait to see how it goes. I froze some of these i bought at Costco a while back. I tried to smoke them and came out like pot roast, not what I was expecting.....sous vide sounds like a good idea, particularly since I just bought a Anova emmersion circulator.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, was it like a pot-roast because it was from the freezer? Or something else?

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      I cooked them like any bone-in beef ribs that always come out great. The cut of meat being sold as boneless chuck ribs by Costco is clearly different than just the meat off the top of beef ribs.

One day I'll tackle a quality set of short ribs.

I have almost 8 pounds of cured brisket going in the SV Tub tonight.

Comment

I don't need to double vacuum seal the ribs, do I? I'm using a Food Saver.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only done it once and it was because a bunch of moisture ruined my seal.

This sous vide cook is helping to warm the bottles to give the baby

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet, I'm 13 hours in.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm almost 24 hours. Preparing hit for tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best. It's my first sous vide cook.

I actually plan on cooking all beef hot dogs tonight, as I already have the meat aquarium going. Going to leave them in for about 1 hour, then finish on hot grill. What do you think?

Might as well sous vide some all beef hot dogs!

Comment

My Anova arrived yesterday... Any recommendations for first cook??? I have some boneless pork chops in the fridge.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          This is my first cook too with my new Anova, so not sure I can give you the "best" advice. But, your boneless pork chops sounds like a GREAT start. Shouldn't be too hard.

Finished the dogs on the grill. They were excellent.

My short rib pics will come tomorrow when I serve them!

Comment

First cook was a success. Pork chops with salt and pepper and little rosemary. One hour at 140. So good! Will have to try steak this weekend.

Comment

Red wine sauce is a-cookin'!!

Comment

Before adding the two tablespoons of butter in the end, the sauce isn't as thick as what I thought it might be (egg nog). Tastes pretty good though. We will see what it tastes like when I serve it.

Comment

So, those "boneless" short ribs I bought weren't really "boneless" afterall. To my surprise, there were bones, but sold as boneless. Regardless, my finished product was great! The ribs were perfectly tender via sous vide. I seared them on the backend which provided the texture I was looking for. The red wine sauce wasn't thick as I thought it would be, but still delicious. Anyone experienced this? MDW loved it, and is a sous vide fan now!! (edit: one of those pics was of the ribs right after the SV. It's the one with paper towel under it. I patted it dry then seared. But, the meat looks ugly coming out of the meat aquarium!)
                Last edited by scottranda; May 12, 2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Happy family = success! Well done. i haven't made the red wine sauce so can't help there. I have an Anova...got to use it soon.

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fuzzydaddy it was really easy. Set the temp, add water for the evaporation once in a while, pull it out, and sear it. Hardest part was waiting 48 hours!

I'm going to try other meats which don't require that long.

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
                  The red wine sauce wasn't thick as I thought it would be, but still delicious. Anyone experienced this?
                  I've made it before, and (to me) it's better the next day. It seemed (to me) to be thicker and a little less rosemary-esque the next day.

Comment

Haven't tried AR red wine sauce, but I have made ChefSteps sauce. It is not really thick like a bbq sauce, but thicker than water if that makes sense. More like a thin gravy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here