Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input before I do this Pork Tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input before I do this Pork Tenderloin

Hi so I've got 2 pork tenderloins I plan on doing tomorrow ATM in salt water brining. I have Memphis dust recipe that said it goes well with pork to put on as a rub.. After watching the smoke/wood lecture and reading some threads on here I'm thinking of doing the pork to 145 sous vide for an hour. Then putting in fridge for 10-15 minutes (the lecture said that smoke adheres best to cold outside meat and I don't want it to overcook anyway) then smoking it with Apple wood with an SnS and a Weber kettle for 15 minutes (since smoke apparently is only super effective for the first 10-15 minutes anyway).

If I took the wrong lesson from the lecture and or am about to do something backwards let me know. Thanks for the input in advance.

Sounds good to me. I say that cause I did one like that, only I seared it afterwards for a chinese dish in rice noodles.

Comment

Treat pork tenderloin as you would a steak. However, you would have to be careful of using too much heat, as the sugar in Memphis Dust would burn. I would omit the sous vide part as unnecessary, since pork tenderloin is a smaller piece of meat, and doesn't need a longer cook for optimum flavor and texture. I would just brine, then rub, then cook using moderate heat till done. If the Memphis dust is omitted, then cook the whole thing like a steak being cooked med.-well. You'll get plenty of smoke flavor, and you'll also be able to taste the meat too.

If you sous vide, then sear at moderate heat to build a crust(assuming you use Memphis Dust).If you omit the Memphis Dust, then use really high heat. Either way, it will turn out well.

Comment

I'm one of those that highly disagrees with 10-15min being the most effective with smoke exposure, since I think that implies smoking longer doesn't do much, which isn't the full story. But regardless, if you only want a kiss of smoke, 10-15 will definitely give you that. I have had the best luck cooking loin and tenderloin hotter at 325ish. 350+ can burn sugary rubs. You'll love it! So soft & tender and at no higher than 145 it will be juicy and delicious!

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to second Huskee here. I'm in the camp that says dry brine overnight, put the rub on, and throw it in the smoker at about 250 - 275 til it hits 145 -150 internal temp. Can't go wrong with that. (Keep in mind that I like to smoke with mesquite, too.)

rofltech It just means while the meat is cold it attracts more smoke (or more sticks to it), and w/in 15 min it's warming up quite fast so that sticking rate drops. But smoke will collect the whole time meat is in smoke until it dries out and gets really hard bark. I'd say stick with your plan A, a light kiss of smoke is great on a delicate tenderloin. If you need to adjust you can next time.

Comment

• rofltech
          rofltech commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. Thank you. I will provide updates on how it goes when I manage to do it. Weathers pretty bad out right now.

Update that it is now sleeting outside in WI and if it keeps going this probably won't happen today . Here is a picture of the rest of my stuff that came in anyway so I've got something to show. In it is SnS Thermoworks DOT grill gloves a rib rack and 3 bags of wood chips.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          The meat doesn't care what the weather's doing!

Haha yeah it doesn't but hey...for my first run of the grill with everything setup 'properly' I'd at least like to sit out and have a few drinks while I watch it . Either way got them ready to go on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here