Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining and sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining and sous vide

Has anyone done any experimentation on this? I've been fiddling with sous vide for a little while now -- it's become my favorite way to cook steaks perfectly, and it's a godsend for a family where everyone likes their steaks cooked to a different temperature -- but I haven't really thought out the whole dry brining thing, which has become a staple of my meat cooking otherwise. (If you hand me a piece of meat to cook, you're gonna have to wait at least an hour!)

Today, I'm going to salt (and pepper and add aromatics), seal and let sit for an hour before starting the sous vide. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sometimes I dry brine, sometimes I just add the salt and throw in the bag. Some of the dry brined stuff gets frozen.

I dry brined a slug this morning.

Comment

How you going to cook the Slug?

Comment

With his Slow 'n Slugger.

Comment

Can you dry brine and season, then throw them into the bag for the hot tub time machine? i would think that would still work just fine.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes you can

What's the chef temp of a slug? Need to add it to the refrigerator magnet!

Comment

Dry brined slug, huh? Don't forget to allow for shrinkage ...

Comment

We need Ernest to get this thread back on track.

I'm pretty sure he salts and throws right in the bag.

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Salt and vacuum.
                Depending on how much time the meat will take a dive. Longer cooks will brine while they bath. I still prefer to leave the seasoned and vacuumed meats overnight before the hot tub time machine for short cooks like steaks.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                dprice I like what Ernest says.....

My Sous Vide wand should be here tomorrow (Monday) looking very forward to playing around with it. Not sure about doing a Brisket in it for 2 days I think it was? but Steak, fish, Chicken and Vegetables!! (<---dont eat those much so this should be good lol)

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I did 40 hours on a brisket flat after I corned it. I then smoked it for pastrami.

• GadjetGriller
                GadjetGriller commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm Jerod Broussard what temp did you Sous vide the meat to? then did you smoke it to 203 degrees? got a point I want to turn into Pastrami that sounds like an interesting way to do it.

I dry brined a tri tip overnight and then gave it a hot water bath with the sous vide circulator for a couple of hours. Turned out fantastic. However when I sous vide steak I usually salt the steaks right before vacuum sealing them.

Comment

Spinaker ...

I like to use the dry brine process the same way I did before I got my SV circulator. If I have the time.

Dry brine in the fridge overnight... No bag, no wrap.

Take it out of the fridge and then vacuum pack it in the SV bag and put it in the bath tub. Let it cook in the bath tub 24/36 hours. Then take it out of the SV bag, blot it dry, put on some beef love and your desired rub, then sear it to create a pretty crust to give it color.

I don't claim this is correct or necessary but it works for me.👍

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool man, Thanks!!! Breadhead

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here