Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 46 hour Tri-Tip Sous Vide cook...😎

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 46 hour Tri-Tip Sous Vide cook...😎

On Sunday night at 8:30pm I got the idea I ought to Sous Vide those 2 Prime grade Tri-Tip roasts I had bought at Costco for $7.59 per pound. I had no idea who I was going to serve them to. I thought I'll get them in the SV bath tub and worry about to whom I was going to serve them to later. I wanted to try a long low and slow SV cook... 36/48 hours. Monday morning I called my son and told him I had 2 good clods of meat cooking in the SV bath tub that was going to take a couple of days to finish. I asked him if he and his family had dinner plans for Tuesday night? He said bring it on Pops.😋 So I had a plan and open minded taste testers.😉 His wife's father and her brother were there too. The father in law is from Philadelphia and the brother lives in New York City. Neither of them had ever heard of a Tri-Tip roast. I explained to them that the Tri-Tip is a very active muscle on the cow and if not cooked low and slow it can be a very tough piece of meat. I explained to them the Sous Vide process/method and showed them pictures of the meat cooking in the bath tub with the circulator. They had never heard of that process either. They seemed very skeptical of what I was intending to serve them.😡 My son has a couple of young children and wanted me to bring it over to his house so he didn't have to disrupt their normal nightly routine. Plus he is remodeling his back patio and has no grill available during the construction. Dilemma!!! Do I sear the meat here on the kettle & SnS and wrap it and put it in my cambro to transport it? Or do I take it out of the SV bath tub and blot it dry and apply the beef love and the rub and wrap it in foil and take it over there and put it under his broiler? I decided the broiler was the better option. So I blotted them dry and added the beef love and put Memphis Dust on one and Big Bad Beef Rub on the other and wrapped them in foil and put them in the cambro. Off to their house I go. He said plan on serving dinner at 6:30pm but that drifted to 7:30pm. That gave me time to make a Ceasar salad, and some sides. I had baked some ciabatta bread earlier in the day so that was covered. I had never put my meat under the broiler before so that had me concerned but it was easy and came out perfect.👌 Dinner was served and the East Coaster's were very impressed with the taste, texture and the moistness of the meat. Andrea's father, a 74 year old man that has lived the good life, said this is better than a Filet. They were all very, very pleased with the Tri-Tip's. It was a fun cook that came out nicely.😆
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; March 9, 2016, 12:46 AM.

Nice.....

Comment

Great info! Thanks for the post. I have a tri-tip in the sous vide right now that will be in there for 48hrs @ 130deg. will refrigerate and then grill to internal of 130deg. Never did this before.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad you liked it. It really is a great way to cook a Tri-Tip.

Take pictures and let us know how you like it.👍

46 hours for tri tip?! That's the first. My tri tip cooks swim for 2 - 4 hours tops.
      But that's the beauty of Sous Vide.

Comment

Breadhead, what was your final IT?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          135°...

BackyardBob ...

The great thing about SV cooking like Ernest said is there are NO rules on times. If your plans change and you need to serve it a day earlier or after just a few hours, your meat will be very good. I do think longer in the bath water makes it more tender. However there is a point of deminishing return there too.

Comment

Nicely done!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here