Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Nashville Fried Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Nashville Fried Chicken

No pics cause we ate it up as soon as it was finished, but it was delicious.

I used the Chef Steps "Can't F*#k it Up Fried Chicken" sous vide recipe/process to cook the chicken and then used the Cook's Country "Hot Nashville Chicken" recipe to actually do the frying and seasoning of the chicken. The Cook/s Country recipe called for brining the chicken in a salt, sugar, and hot sauce brine for about an hour. I opted to just dry brine overnight instead. Chicken was broken down into drumsticks, wings, thighs, and two boneless breast sections.

I sous vide the dark meat in one bag and breast meat in another. Set sous vide at 155 F and cooked dark meat for two hours and then added the breast meat to the tub with the dark meat and went another hour and half. While this was cooking I made the Nashville "basting oil."

Pulled the meat out of the sous vide bags and floured each piece with seasoned flour and placed on wire wrack to "gell" up. Started heating up the oil in the deep fryer and when it was up to 360 I floured the pieces again to get a little extra crispness and started frying them in batches. Kept the fried pieces warm on wire rack in oven set at low. Once all pieces were fried (took about 3 minutes per batch) I basted each piece with the Cook's Country "Nashville basting oil." Served on white bread with garlic dill pickles on the side.

Nashville Basting Oil Recipe

3 TBS vegetable oil
    1 1/2 TBS cayenne pepper (original recipe called for 1 TBS, but we like it HOT)
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 garlic powder
    1/2 tsp sugar

Here's a link to the ChefSteps recipe/process (This is how I'm frying chicken from now on):

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Here's a link to the Cook's Country Recipe:

No pics.....didn't happen

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, I know, just thought I'd share in case anybody was interested. Next time!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      It does sound good Dr ROK and I bet it look good too. I will give this a try for sure.

Sounds great! I've been eyeing that Cook's Country recipe for a while. Glad to hear it turned out so well.

Kathryn

Comment

Hmmm... Interesting, very interesting.👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here