Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HWMO is a Saint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HWMO is a Saint

Well, maybe "Saint" is pushing it a little. I mean, I have been recovering from major oral surgery and, frankly, no one could ask for an easier patient to care for.

Ok, EVEN *I* had to stop for a few minutes to wipe the laugh tears out of my eyes so I can see!

Anyway, Denver has been happy (maybe that is a bit too strong a word) to take up the kitchen cleaning & doing dishes rasks while I do most of the cooking. but, he does do some of the sides and he's pretty good with them.

but, over the last few weeks, I have been restricted to liquids or the pureed (a polite term for mechanically pre-chewed).

He has made buckets of potato soup. I never thought I'd say this, but I don't think I can face another bowl of potato soup.

Why did I post this is Sous Vide? because it is the perfect way to handle the soup. (or sauce or whatever) when you know you are going to need it at various times across the day. I can actually see some soup restaurants using some form of sous Vide to keep soup warm. it will take some doing but it could be great. a bag of potato soup will stay hot in the pot all day and I can grab as I need. I was also thinking, since it doesn't overcook it could be the answer to how do I serve BBQ at a potluck or what have you?

Instead of making a cambro and hoping you can hold enough heat to keep it good until you arrive, you could make your hunk o' beast on the smoker in an overnight cook, timed to be done about 2 hours ahead of your party/gathering, what have you (allowing for that over long stall that ALWAYS hits when you need to be somewhere). once the meat hits temp, you can take it off the smoker, bag it, even if you want to bag it whole and pull it at the event. then, keep it in your sous vide pot at dining temp until you are ready to leave. even then, I would put the meat, still in the bag, and with more hot water in the cooler. in this manner your meat has never overcooked, it hasn't been reheated, it hasn't dried. it is still marvelous!!

anyway, I think it may be a bit before I'm willing to face another pot of potato soup.

Interesting idea.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      when you arrive at your destination, if it was a long sit in the bag, and one is available, you might pop it back in an oven for a short bit just to crisp up the bark but I can see this meaning you can serve JUST cooked BBQ even if you had to drive an hour to the event.

I do that with Mashed potatoes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here