Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide "Sirloin Tip Steak" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide "Sirloin Tip Steak" Question

I have been searching various websites and the Internet in general to find a recommended Sous Vide cooking time for a "Sirloin Tip Steak". Regardless of how or where I search, I end up with sous vide recipes for "Sirloin Top Steak" or just "Sirloin Steak". However, my search DID uncover that I should note that "The top sirloin comes from the sirloin of the beef and is more tender. The sirloin tip, however, comes from the round and is a little tougher and leaner in its marbling.​"

This tells me that if I treat the Sirloin Tip Steak like a Sirloin Top Steak (Sous Vide for 1-2 hours) I will have one tough piece of meat. If I treat it as if it came "from the round" and go for 12-24 hours, I may have beef mush.

There are non-Sous Vide recipes for the Sirloin Tip Steak that say to slice it thin or marinate it, which is another indication that it is not something one just tosses on a grill for a few minutes.

Anyone have any experience in times and temps for this kind of tougher steak?

Since there is very little fat or connective tissue in it, If I am correct, I don't think it matters much. A longer sous vide is probably not going to tenderize it much. Depending on the thickness, about 2 hours should do fine.

Comment

I would go with a presser in avocado oil, ghee or tallow in a cast iron pan. Add some fresh garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme. Fry the outside of the steak on all sides. Then add the steak, garlic, rosemary and thyme fro the pan to the bag. Throw in some fresh garlic, rosemary and thyme as well. Seal it up and cook.

I would go at 131 F for at least 2 hours.

Once finished, take the meat out of the bag, dab it dry. Add some of your favorite steak seasoning then sear over live fire or broiler in the oven. Rotating often.

Badda-Bing!

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Badda-Boom

Definitely more like round than sirloin:

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.co...0Ground%20Beef.

Butcher shop I worked in long ago cut sirloin tip roasts rather than round/rump roasts.

Comment

Ahh. Following the link you provided Murdy it showed the "Sirloin Tip Steak" is also called a "Round Tip Steak". When I Googled "Round Tip Steak" I found a Sous Vide recipe that called for:

Cook in a 140-degree Fahrenheit (60-degree Celsius) water bath for medium-rare and for 24 hours to make this otherwise-tough cut as tender as any steak you’ll ever have.

Several others I found said 6-8 hours in the Sous Vide but all of those included a marinade in advance and slicing it thin (so, not serving it like a steak).

If one Googles "Sirloin Tip ..." you get either "Sirloin Top ..." or "... Tri Tip". So thanks for the link!

Comment

24 hours seemed like too much while 2 hours might not be enough. I split the difference and SV'd the meat for 12 hours then seared it on my cast iron skillet. Turned out as good as I could have hoped. Thanks to all of you for the input.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't shy away from a 24 hour SV cook for a tougher cut of meat. It can work magic.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here