Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wings Sous Vide Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to weigh in on sous vide chicken. Initially I followed the recipe at ChefSteps which calls for a bath at 155 for 3-4 hours. I have since modified via another recipe going 148 for 3-4 hours. What happens is the chicken is cooked done with either method. If frying, I pat dry, bread it and heat my oven to 425. Heat 1Tb of lard/shortening/beef tallow (my favorite) and heat in a pan in the oven for 10min. Then I "fry" for 10-15 minutes per side. Looks like and taste like fried chicken. Next, if I'm grilling, I pat dry and chill overnight in refrigerator. The next day I'll fire off my Weber with SNS, add a couple of chunks of wood and sear all around. Now the point is here is that the chicken never gets mushy and on the grill the skin is as crisp as you want. I've done the same with the PBC if I have a large amount of chicken to do. BTW this also works with thighs and breasts as well-same procedure all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by LangInGibsonia View Post
      David Parrish I'm wanting to try your recipe here but I'm on a time constraint. I have two options. 1, put them in the bath at 7:30am and take them out and grill them at 5:30 or 2, SV, ice bath, and dry in the fridge the night before then take out of the fridge and grill at 5:30. With 1, I'm worried about too long in the bath. With 2, I'm worried about cold meat going on the SnS resulting in crispy skin but cold meat. Thoughts anyone?
      Since you're going to be away from your house until one hour prior to serving the wings I think you skip the SV and just cook them the old fashioned way. They'll still be awesome!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Could also retherm with the SV or slightly longer on the indirect using option 2.

I'm looking forward to tying these. With my new SnS+!

Comment

Originally posted by Atalanta View Post
        I'm looking forward to tying these. With my new SnS+!
        Cool. We want pics!

Comment

David Parrish I'm dusting this technique off for this weekend. I'm holding you personally accountable for my success!

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            They'll be great!

I wanna try this one too. The options are unlimited with wings. especially when you throw the SV into the mix. Thanks for posting a while back.

Comment

No Easter Ham this year! We are going Easter Wings!
          Going to give Dave’s Sous vide wings a go.

Comment

Let us know how it works for you, jecucolo . I'm so hooked on Vortex wings that it's hard to imagine doing them any other way. Well, Attjack has always had me hankering to fry them after taking them off the smoker. But that's for another day.

Kathryn

Comment

I've done sous vide followed by air fryer to crisp them up - pretty good!

Comment

I'm trying this for the first time....Wings in the Hot Tub Time Machine right now. Pics soon..

Comment

Thanks for surfacing this thread! I happen to have some wings in the fridge right now that I need to do something with so I'm going to SV them, ice bath, and then throw in the freezer for later!

Comment

I'd be interested to know from someone who's tried both ways what the SV step brings to them. Me, I like SV for certain things but I can't help think for wings it's just not worth the hassle for me, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I find wings on the pellet cooker at 375-400 until well done is perfect. Super crispy, very mild smoke, well suited for saucing.

Comment

I just did these SV wings. 170 for 2 hours and then right to the indirect side of my kettle for 20 minutes. Full chimney of KBB. Peach wood for smoke. Finished directly over the coals for about 1 minute keeping an eye on the flare ups and moving the wings around. No sauce, just salt/pepper while in the bath and a light rub before the hit the kettle.

My wife, the wing critic, said they were the best I’ve ever produced. Happy wife, happy life. All good!

Comment

I’ve been righteously schooled! SV @170 softens the gristle to the same tenderness as deep fried. Then of course I followed David’s original post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here