Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wings Sous Vide Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken wings Sous Vide Style

I've got some chicken wings, salted and peppered, in a Sous Vide bath at 170 F. I've read all kinds of different temps for wings so could use some advice. I want to grill these in a couple of hours, so i don't have a lot of time. Has anyone tried 170 F? Should I do 160 F instead? What's the minimum bath time?

Once these are done I'm searing them with the Slow 'N Sear then saucing them with Moore's Buffalo sauce.

Any suggestions?

OK done with the cook. These wings were AMAZEBALLS!!! Here's what I did:

1) Salted and Peppered wings then vacuum packed
    2) Sous Vide cooked at 170 F for two hours
    3) Smoked on the 26" kettle indirect side for 15 minutes with a cherry chunk on top of the grate over the hot coals. Thin blue smoke and indirect temps between 350 F and 400 F
    4) Seared on the hot side for about 30 seconds. The skin was bubbling as it seared.
    5) Tossed in Moore's Buffalo sauce that had been nuked until hot.

Served with Blue Cheese dressing. AMAZEBALLS I tell you, just amazing. Pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG
Views:	1464
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	134737

Name:	IMG_0893.JPG
Views:	1467
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	134735

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	1493
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	134736

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	1435
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	134734

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG
Views:	1434
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	134733

Comment

• nct1980
      nct1980 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why 2 hours at 170

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm no sous vide expert. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Basically, I treat wings like dark meat. I wanted the fat rendered out of the skin, and the meat to be done to dark meat temps.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the roadmap on how you did this.. Gonna try this one soon..

Amazing wings! Congrats on success. Is this the unit you got?

Name:	pc_anova.png
Views:	1362
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	134739

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my thought too.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Also with WiFi, if you are using their recipes you have to use THEIR recipe. Time and temp.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wifi and Bluetooth are to different things. Bluetooth has a shorter range. I can move around the house with my Wifi and even outside, not if I use Bluetooth.

Nice.

I do 160 for two hours then fry in 400 degree oil.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      170 F worked great!

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I think being in that bag time and temp are much less critical.

Peer pressure man. Peer pressure. I ordinarily wouldn't be interested in a sous vide stick....but this peer pressure is killing me. Last time it happened it was with the ThermaPen sale... Must. Resist. The. Pressure.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel the exact same way. Then I have to convince my wife that I neeeeeed a sous vide. And that's gunna be a hard sale. I'm working on her for a Jambo. Too many absolute needs!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee And look how that came out!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF Yep exactly. It happened with the Smoke too. No sous vide yet though. I prefer fire for now.

So what are people using to determine times & temps? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on that WiFi Anova but I want to understand the parameters I'll be working with.

Comment

The Burn, I've been making notes on cooks I'm seeing here, and I'll be checking these out:
    1. The Anova app (not the WiFi app) has recipes.
    2. Amazing Ribs Sous Vide section.
    3. ChefSteps
    4. Serious Eats
    5. Anova's website
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; January 17, 2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

They look great! Fried wings have their place but I prefer grilled ones. I haven't done enough though lately as my supplier is no longer around. I only like the drumettes, and so do the family so I have to have a lot of people show up to do a pack of 50/50.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no meat on em!!

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      You ain't looked hard enough, the skin to meat ratio is off the chain!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I see the zen in both parts. The meatiness of the drum, the wonder of the wingette. The ease of the drum, the work of the wingette. The wingette has that great skin-meat-othergunk ratio.

Dang, over two hours to cook 14 wings...no thank you

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Soooooo I'm guessing you have never done the Pastrami recipe from scratch...... DWCowles

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope and not planning on it

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
    OK done with the cook. These wings were AMAZEBALLS!!! Here's what I did:

1) Salted and Peppered wings then vacuum packed
    2) Sous Vide cooked at 170 F for two hours
    3) Smoked on the 26" kettle indirect side for 15 minutes with a cherry chunk on top of the grate over the hot coals. Thin blue smoke and indirect temps between 350 F and 400 F
    4) Seared on the hot side for about 30 seconds. The skin was bubbling as it seared.
    5) Tossed in Moore's Buffalo sauce that had been nuked until hot.

Served with Blue Cheese dressing. AMAZEBALLS I tell you, just amazing. Pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n134737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n134735[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n134736[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n134734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n134733[/ATTACH]
    Can you give yourself a gold medal? They look amazing!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Conflict of Interest on the Gold Medal thing.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Aw shucks, thanks!

Here David Parrish you deserve this!

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	134903

Comment

Anybody want to put an "L" in the title....???

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it now. Fixed and thanks!

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Saw it at the beginning and thought he was using slang. After while it kept irking me.

Then he got a Gold Medal and I really got irked...hehehehe

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sous Vide Stye: A new stye treatment (with a lot of warnings in the fine print to not put your eye in the water). Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I am going to sous vide a prime Tri tip. Looking at various recipes I've settled on one from Anova-season, heat water to 132 and run for 6 hours. Finish on the weber via Slow 'n Sear. I'll probably use Kiawe wood to add a little smoke for the finish. Any suggestions? Tried your wings recipe (above) today along with a 26 hour leg of lamb, finished with Guava wood. They were both excellent!

BTW I own two Anova stick probes and a Sous Vide Supreme. I also ordered a ChefsSteps Joule probe as well. I use for different purposes, but the big machine for 2-4 day cooking because of water loss.

Comment

freddh That's an arsenal. I got two.
        How thick is the tri tip? I have done tri tip at 3 hours

Comment

• freddh
          freddh commented
          Editing a comment
          The Tri tip is 2".

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I think 3 hours should work perfectly. But then again with Sous vide, 6 hours Won't do no harm.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on your end goal. 8 will be more transformative than 3. I've seen people with preferences both ways. 3h would be not fully pasteurized, so I wouldn't let it sit around in the fridge for a week in the bag.

Welcome freddh! We're glad you're here. I would go with Ernest's recommendation as I'm still an SV newbie and haven't done tri tip yet. Come back with details and pics of your cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here