Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide

So, I purchased a sous vide (Anova) and, being a real man, what is the first thing I used it for? Why, yogurt, of course! Three batches, no less. How sweet the temp control was.

The next project is ribs--a tad more manly, I suppose. The recipe is from Kenji (http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/barbecue-ribs) and the ribs are in the fridge, vacuum sucked and dry rubbed as per the recipe, with two exceptions: 1) I added a bit of rosemary in honor of Meathead, and 2) I added some chipotle and ancho powder (in place of the red pepper flakes) in recognition of being a resident of the great southwest. I'll letcha know in a couple of days how they turned out--I'm going for the 36 hour option.
    Last edited by Willy; December 26, 2015, 08:55 PM.

Wait until you try a nice 1.5 to 2 inch ribeye sous vide. Best steak I have ever had was done sous vide

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Details! Details! LOL

I wasn't impressed with ribeyes. VERY impressed with Tri-tip, crème brulee, talapia...and soon to be sirloin tip roast.

Comment

Did you cook the tri tip whole roast or? Sear in the rear I assume? Any further recommendations appreciated! I appreciate all your advice!

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the whole roast. I go straight from frozen (seasoned and vacuum packed) into the bath at 125f for 4 hours minimum, but lately I've been trying to do at least 8 hours. Then reverse sear, lately with my Sansaire searing torch.

Tri-tip was in steaks.

Chefsteps.com is my go to sous vide. Pre and post sear on the beef. Pre sear when meat is COLD.

Comment

We ate the ribs (SLCs) last night--after the 36 hour cooking time/145 F temperature recommended in the link in my initial post above. In my opinion, they were disappointing. Virtually no smoke flavor and no tug at all--my wife commented they were "like butter". I will not make them again that way, though I might be tempted to try the 12 hour/165 F combo, using more liquid smoke than the recipe called for. I also would not do the oven finishing, which was 300 F for 40 minutes. I did miss the grilling step--my bad--but I would only grill the next time--no oven imho.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I got a tub from Amazon with a lid. I plan to cut the lid with my dremmel tool so I can close it around the Anova.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't bother with the ribs at all. Been there done that. If you can smoke them low and slow, nothing beats that!

I plan to do some hot wings. Using the Chefsteps recipe I will sous vide the wings for the pre-cook stage rather than put them in that pressure pot that I don't have. Then fry in corn starch before the hot sauce.

I like this one.

I have my clear rubbermaid tub ready. I cut the lid with the dremmel to allow for the Anova.

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy....n-wings-recipe
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 31, 2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Moscuba
          Moscuba commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes indeed. I do quite a bit of par cooking sous vide. Par cooking sous vide makes the best fried chicken too.

I have recently starting cooking sous vide, and have made the best rib eyes I ever had. The problem is the sear. I have only been able to get a good sear in a short enough time on a cast iron pan. I would like to do it on a grill, but can't get it hot enough. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          I use grill grates that are turned upside down so they are a solid surface & get them as close to the coals as I can. Also, make sure you dry your meat with a paper towel before searing.

• Moscuba
          Moscuba commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr ROK is right. The grill has to be hot and the heat very close and the meat dry. My grill allows me to raise the coals. You could do the "sear over the chimney technique" but that's one at a time. I use my rib rack to hold the steaks on edge placing the fattest edge down. Much easier than holding them on edge with a tool. I then push the rib rack aside and do the faces.

I cook sous vide almost every weekend. You will love it!

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep using cast iron. It's the best for that purpose, IMHO.

Kquinn713 are you pre-searing any?

Heat/energy by conduction will always have an edge on radiant heat.

Have you tried a 1/2 filled charcoal chimney with the steak on top?

Comment

Hi, I did just an OK job whilst watching football: Broccoli Sous Vide, white cheddar sauce sous vide, mashed potatoes sous vide and NY steak sous vide.

Nice thing about it was that I could have everything ready and let it sit until I wanted to eat between 3rd and 4th quarters (past 10 PM at that).

The potatoes were fried in butter (Pommes Byron) and the cheese sauce sous vide in its own container. The broccoli floated as expected but needed only 10 seconds of nuke time. The new puppy started barking so I lost attention span at the grill and caused the start of some grey on one side or the NY.

But notice my lazy man's tool for searing the edges of the steak: the ol' ribs rack. Beats holding them.

Cheers!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            VERY nice...

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Next time put a fork or table knife in the bag with the broccoli. It won't float then.

Willy smoke your Sous vide ribs for 2 hours, make sure that they are cold. And they work better if they are extra thick.
          Last edited by Ernest; January 5, 2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Sounds like good advice. Still, I was disappointed in how overly tender the 145F ribs were. Too mushy.

Comment

That's strange Willy . Mine come out like a buttery ribeye steak on a stick. Bite clean off the bone.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                That's my point--they should "tug" a bit. LOL Or are you suggesting that my taste buds aren't universal?! LOL, again.

To each his/her own!

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                HAHAHA! No, I'm thinking maybe you used enhanced ribs. I have done sous vide ribs at 145 many times and they come out great. But I ask the butcher for the thickest racks.

Favorite sous vide cooks are NY strip (cooked at 135 for 24 hours and then seasoned and finished in the Charbroil Roaster, smoker), Brisket cooked to 160 (again finished in the Charbroil Roaster, smoker) A chuck roast cooked medium rare and yes finished in the charbroil rs, For my pastrami I seasoned and smoked it first and then into the sous vide and cooked at 160
              36 hours to 48 hours depending on the size. 5# pork butt cooked in the sous vide at 160 48 hours and depending on what I am goiAnd tehm to use it for finish on the smoker or season for tacos. A standing pork roast I seasoned with combination of fennel dust, rosemary salt and pepper and cooked in the sous vide at 150 for 36 hours then browned it good at 400 degrees in the oven. It was awesome. Call me silly but I like my beef to taste like beef, so when it comes to roasts, and steaks i usually use the sous vide just to get it to the temp I like and the I remove it from the bag dry it off, rub with a little oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. If I want more flavor than that I will make a red wine sauce, green peppercorn sauce or mustard sauce. I would never cook Baby back ribs in the sous vide but maybe St. Louis style. ​
              Last edited by Mickeylou5; January 16, 2016, 05:25 PM. Reason: I had alot of trouble getting my pictures to come up the way I wanted them to. I will have to practice more. I deleted about 4 of them.

Comment

As I have mentioned in a couple of threads, my wife has taken over my Anova sous vide. She really likes it, and looks forward to using it. Last night she made Coquille St. Jacques, and the scallops came out perfectly. She is not much of a web surfer like I am (face it, I'm an Internet junkie!) but she is now searching for different sous vide recipes to test out. Works for me, although I have to do the dishes....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here