Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide And Smoked Texas-Style BBQ Brisket Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide And Smoked Texas-Style BBQ Brisket Recipe

The Sous Vide And Smoked Texas-Style BBQ Brisket Recipe by Clint Cantwell calls for using a 6 lb beef brisket flat. Could I follow this same recipe using a whole packer?

Thanks!

I don't see why not ( Clint Cantwell ?). I'd trim it before SV and it might take longer but it should work fine. It's been a while since I read that recipe but I think the reason to do it with a flat is that flats, esp when separated, dry out more easily.
    Last edited by rickgregory; July 1, 2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Clifford W King
      Clifford W King commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent. Thank you! Will try it this holiday weekend and report back.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Let us know how it turns out. I've made Chris Cantwell's Pastrami SVQ recipe, and it's delicious.

And welcome to The Pit!

Kathryn

Comment

Welcome from Buffalo

Comment

Welcome fr Cincy Ohio! Never had a briskie I couldn’t eat! Some more Amazing than others.

Comment

The recipe worked out really well. Almost too good.

Bought a 15.25 lb prime grade whole packer. After trimming it was just a little shy of 13 pounds. I dry brined roughly 12 hours overnight before sealing and immersing in the SV for 30 hours. Removed from SV and transferred to cooler of ice water. (Discovered a hunk of brisket does not look appetizing at this point). Took 3 hours to get internal temp to low 40s. I pat it dry with paper towels and dry rubbed, gave a light spritz of water and placed in smoker. Took a little over 4 hours for deepest internal temp to hit 131. The brisket at this point looked and jiggled amazingly.

The point separated from the flat with one smooth pass of a meat slicer. (Twilight Zone) The meat sliced completely different than how brisket typically feels. It was more like a steak and had a deep pink/red tone inside of the smoke ring. It did NOT look like any brisket I have ever seen. But it oxidized within a couple minutes of being sliced, and looked exactly like brisket. Our party devoured the greater portion of the meal and it was complimented over and over, but I did not feel great about it. It was too, something..... I cant put my finger on what I did not like. It was too perfectly cooked from tip to tip through both muscles evenly, and greatly changed the texture that I am used to. There was no making burnt ends. There was no chipped beef brisket. It was just two muscles sliced consistent thickness all the way across. Almost too good

I wonder at the possibility of using the juice saved from the SV bag (3+ cups) and reinjecting some of it back into the brisket before smoking.

I may try again with just a flat and reinjecting some of the liquid lost during SV. But I think whole packers I will stay true to tradition.

Thank you all for welcoming me. I have been a devout follower of Amazing Ribs since 2009 and am happy to have finally joined this community.
            Last edited by Clifford W King; July 5, 2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              i like the honesty

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here