Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide for Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide for Tri-Tip

I've been using sous vide with tri-tip for two reasons: Most of mine are frozen and it's a great way to defrost and also bring the meat up to temp before reverse searing, and when they're not frozen just to bring the meat up to temp before reverse searing. I have not been using sous vide to tenderize the meat.

But the other day I put a non-frozen Tri-tip in for 8 hours to see what the effect would be. Omg! Wonderfully tender tri-tip. This will be my new way, but next time I'll try 24 hours, which is what I've done with chuck.

A high quality tri-tip like Waygu is mouth watering after only 3 hours at 131-ish.

Comment

Tri-Tip is just made for sous vide. I sear mine at the beginning, then into the sous vide, and finally finish with a sear. The initial sear gives the whole Tri-Tip a wonderful flavor that permeates the meat during the sous vide treatment and the final sear gives the Tri-Tip that nice little crust.

Here's to great cooks!

Comment

"""Tri-Tip is just made for sous vide"""

Tru dat! Tru dat!

Comment

One of these days I'll figure out what sous vide is.

Comment

Tri tip is not really a tough cut. I think 24 hours is way too long. Longer sous vide cook time doesn't necessarily equal more tender meat.
            Chuck is a tough cut, it does benefit from a longer bath.
            I do tri tip 2 - hours.

Comment

ok folks I need some info do you need to spend a lot on a sous vide unit and how much can you put at one time with the "home model "

Comment

I like my Anova that I got from Amazon. Really a first rate unit for all I've done. No problems. Check the Anova website for special deals. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here