Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Steak Flight Dinner Planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Steak Flight Dinner Planned

I asked some questions a bit ago about sous vide steaks for a dinner I’m planning.

I have finalized the menu and the weekend. I’ll be having our 6 guests over on Saturday June 4th for this culinary extravaganza.

First off in my initial post I said I was going to be cooking the steaks to medium, not by my choice but some of the guests didn’t want medium rare meat.

Well there will be no medium steaks served. I proposed to the wives that will be attending that I can serve them shrimp 5 ways instead of steak and they all agreed they would rather have that.

The 5 shrimp dishes I’ll be making and serving are:
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Grilled Shrimp Scampi
    Smoked Shrimp mini Tacos served with Avocado Cream sauce, shredded Cabbage and Salsa Verde
    Shrimp and Egg Fried Rice
    Shrimp Alfredo with Broccoli

I’m thinking of getting either 26/30 or 31/35 gulf shrimp and serving 4 shrimp per person per course. Any other opinions on this subject would be appreciated.

Now for the Sous Vide Steak Flight. We have chosen the following 5 cuts for this dinner:
    Filet (figure get two 8 oz. to share between the 4 of us)
    Boneless Ribeye (2”)
    Boneless NY Strip (2”)
    Picanha
    Flank

I plan to sous vide the steaks at 127° for 2 1/2 hours and then sear them off using my Weber Kettle (Ribeye, NY, Picanha) ,my Blackstone (Flank), My cast iron pan (Filet). Any other suggestions here would be welcomed.

I am going to be making the following steak accompaniments / sauces for this dinner:
    Sautéed Mushrooms & Onions
    Horseradish Cream Sauce
    Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce
    Garlic Herb Compound Butter
    Chimichurri Sauce

I’m going to make oven roasted Garlic Herb Red Potatoes and a Cheesy Brussels Sprouts and Bacon casserole to go with the beef.

I’ll hope to make everything outside using my full arsenal of outdoor cooking equipment.
    22” Weber Kettle
    28” Blackstone Griddle
    Grilla OG
    24” Camp Chef Smoke Vault (I plan on using this as an outdoor oven)
    Anova Sous Vide precision cooker
    Duxtop portable Induction Cooktop

I’ll take many photos and give you all the good, the bad and if any ugly of the evening.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions on this cook I have planned.

Steve

Wow. That’s a lot to handle by yourself. Or will you have help? Regardless, it sounds terrific. Good luck!!

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll be able to have a lot of the items pre made before anybody shows up. We will be serving the ladies first. My three friends can be my waiters. Lol. Us men just need the meat thrown on a plate. That’s the beauty of sous vide. While the ladies are eating the steaks just sit there and stay right at the correct temp.

Good call on no medium steak! For the shrimp only guests 4 may not be enough.
    Any chance they have royal red shrimp at your fishmonger? If do, try them! They are deep water Gulf or Atlantic shrimp and would fit well with your extravaganza!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      He mentioned 4 shrimp per person per "course". There’ll be 5 shrimp courses.

Damn, I wanna go! That sounds great.
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 15, 2022, 04:27 PM.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking 20 shrimp for each lady would be plenty. Plus the starch from the taco, rice and linguine should fill them up.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah……missed the "per course" 🙄

Get some really good chardonnay to pair with the shrimp and a big bold red like cabernet sauvignon or petite syrah for the beef. The big red wine will be good to cleanse the tongue and the acidity will compliment the fat of the meat. This is going to be a fun event and I wish you great success!!!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; May 15, 2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

My immediate thought is that 2.5 hours at 127 is a little long. If it helps plan, you could easily do 90 minutes and have the same outcome.

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        One could also sous vide the steaks the day before and store them in the fridge until you're ready to sear/finish on the day of.

Sounds great, but also sounds like a lot of work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here