Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bags🤬

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bags🤬

So had a nice chuck roast with rosemary sprigs and kosher salt
    vacked perfectly, 40 hrs in at 142
    put in ice bath to sear and finish on Weber kettle, and pulled out, the bag had opened up got a water soaked roast 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
    food saver bags
    tell me what I should do to help!
    Thanks, Dave is disappointed, wife says crockpot from here on out

thanks for reading

I just did a 42 hour chuck and it went fine but... 1) where there any bones? and 2) although I didnt double bag, you can. I did seal in 2 places on each side so that if one seal failed, the other would back it up.

Comment

• Deeremaxx
      Deeremaxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought about double seals
      Thanks
      Dave

142° isn't hot enough to get me to double bag, but for long soaks I will double seal the bag.

The key takeaway here is this. no matter how good you are, or how many times you have done something, there is always a chance that it will go sideways on you. We've all been there. Shake it off, tune out the doubt that rattles around in the back of your mind, and give it another go. SV chuckie is one of the meals that totally justifies owning a SV. Don't let one bad bag spoil that for you.

Just to show that even on "routine" cooks, it can go wrong, I'll share this with you.
    My GF loves my homemade Alfredo sauce served up with fettuccini and my rift on Middle Eastern chicken. I have made this exact same dish well over a hundred times over the years, and have it down pat. Except the time last year when I was making it for her Birthday dinner. The heat got away from me while making the sauce, and I ended up scorching the cream, and over heating the Parm which turns it from silky smooth to more of a milky sand. There was no hiding from it, it sucked. And to top it off, I didn't have the time or ingredients to do it again. Not my finest hour, but all I could do was chalk it up to poop occurs, and move on.
    She still asks me to make it for her, but always reminds me to not screw it up again.

Comment

• Deeremaxx
      Deeremaxx commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, just really bummed me out
      Dave

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      "142° isn't hot enough to get me to double bag, but for long soaks I will double seal the bag. "

Agreed, though I double seal (two seals on each end) due to length, not temp. I've not had a one of the seals fail yet but it's literally a few seconds more and cheap insurance.

Happens. It's terrible. Double bagging is one option. The gusseted bags have a bit more space for larger items, so there's less issue. If the item has bones, I save these food safe plastic bone protectors that come with mail order ribs and such, just for SV.

For smaller items, I've been using Stasher silicone bags. Not the best vacuum, but thicker seams and sides.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      For the Stasher, do you keep the sealed edge up above the water level, just like a Ziploc bag?

I've looked at them before and passed because they're not all that large, and you'd lose some volume if you had to keep the sealed edge above the water line, I figured. Too small for much of anything except maybe a couple of burgers (if that) or some asparagus or corn off the cob.

K.

I use reg bags on Amazon (i.e., not brand name) and I always double seal both edges on every steak or whatever. Just a habit, and no reason not to. Never really had an issue.

For long cooks, expensive pieces of meat and special stuff, I double bag.

Comment

No problem, I think soup, stew, or gravy. "If you can't fix it; feature it!" I always say

Comment

As others have said, double sealing may have avoided the soggy chuck scenario. I feel for you--it sucks when such a delicious plan goes sideways.

Kathryn

Comment

I will always double seal my bags. I find when sealing moist things some juice can make its way up the bag and into the area that is heat sealed. That juice will prevent the bag from sealing properly. After the first seal I’ll take a piece of paper towel and dry out the upper section then seal again about 1/4 of an inch above my original seal.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly right, and this is exactly what I do a lot of the time - wipe out the inside of the bag ABOVE the seal to get any liquid or schmutz out of there and seal it again 1/4" or so higher. I've been known to triple seal on occasion, but that was just for the hell of it, no way I thought that was necessary. lol

I really like this double seal idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here