Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice ribeye for a circulating test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice ribeye for a circulating test.

Testing my hose today that is rated for 180 psi at 70 degrees. No pressure, but melting point needs to be checked. 131-ish ribeye for 2 hours. Next will be Creme Brulee at 170 for a couple hours.

Ribeye was labeled Angus. $5 cheaper per pound than the Prime. Saw the Kobe (their label not mine), never even checked the price. Been dry brining since midnight. Doing a pre-sear so that the post-sear will take no time at all to firm up what was established pre-sear. Little black pepper on the steak before it goes in the bag.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	120334 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010096.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	120335 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010097.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	120336 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010098.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	120337

Looking good, I was worried about the temps when I read your update the other day, but I bet it works fine.

Comment

I also have some silicone pads made by Lodge on the bottom of the pan for the meat to rest on.

Comment

\m/ \m/

Comment

Final Results. A low & slowed and reverse seared ribeye only needs salt and pepper. A ribeye that is cooked this way needs way more seasoning. Texture and all was perfect, but ribeye really does best on a grill to get "BBQ Flavor." A tougher cut such as Tri-Tip that already gets a hefty dose of seasoning does awesome with sous vide. I won't cook Tri-tip any other way.

Circulator worked to perfection. I never had to remove the lid to stir and that helped the temp stay as steady as I could hope for. I plan to get a waterproof wire probe that I can plug into my Auber that will make temp reading much better.

I ran it 1hr 45minutes at 131 degrees +/- 1.4 degrees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010099.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	120452 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010100.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	120453 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010101.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	120454 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010103.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	120455

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 7, 2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I betcha BBBR would be good on it that way, maybe with smoked paprika in it. Or just grilled, ha ha.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I've had some really good ribeyes covered in Tony Chachere's and "fried" in olive oil just enough to get a good crust on each side.

Now I can move on to Creme Brulee....

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              One of these days I'll see that in a store and try it, haven't yet.

Great pics Arrow! How did the hose hold up?
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 8, 2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Great, even resting on the pretty hot sides of the pot didn't affect it. This thing is very rigid, and $0.13/foot.

Not that it could be shot of a bow, but you get the idea

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here