Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ or QVQ Advice on Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ or QVQ Advice on Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Good Morning, I would like to prep a chuck roast for making burnt ends later this week. I have been searching the pit for a while now. I have found several threads about cooking chuck roast either SVQ or QVQ, but most seem to indicate cooking to an internal temp of 130-135. Does that work (texture/doneness) for making burnt ends? I have also seen some debate surrounding the smoke intensity/flavor of QVQ versus SVQ and would welcome any all feedback from fellow pit members.

It's been my experience (I'm sure others will weigh in on the debate) that QVQ is a process that lends itself well to cooking beef to a medium rare finish. When cooking beef to well done probe tender, like brisket or chuck, SVQ is plenty good enough. The idea behind the first smoke is to establish as much flavor as possible before the bath. After that the last smoke is more of a re-establishment of bark. Since you should not exceed the low temperature of a medium rare finish, then your second smoke is limited time wise.

If you're doing burnt ends you should be looking at SVQ and bringing it up to the 200*F+ range. You can pre-smoke as an option, it certainly doesn't hurt anything but I feel it's a waste of time with very little benefit in the end.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman I appreciate and respect your advise as I know you have done more than your fair share of SVQ!

Chuck roast is in the water bath. Quick question about the regarding the burnt ends cook. Should I re-smoke the chuck roast whole after the sous vide cook and then cut into chunks for seasoning and tossing with sauce before finishing on the smoker, or cut up directly after the sous vide cook, season and sauce and then put it back on the smoker?

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      If it were me, I would cube it up before smoking. My thought is, you will have more surface area exposed to soak up the smoky goodness.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I was thinking willxfmr. Thanks!

I wanted to circle back and update this thread on what I did and my thoughts on the final product.

I went the QVQ method. I dry brined the (Porter Rd.) chuck roast with Lawry's Seasoned salt and seasoned the roast with Tasty Dead Cow Shake from the Pepper Palace. My target temp for the initial smoke was 275. I did get as high as 300, but that did not seem to have an adverse effect. I pulled the chuck roast at 155 after 4 hours and it had established a nice bark. I put it directly into the sous vide bath at 200 degrees and kept it there for 47 hours. I pulled it let rest & cool while the cooker as getting up to 275. I sliced the chuck and the point of a brisket from a previous cook (which I brought up to temp in the sous vide for 4 hours) and separately tossed them with some Butcher's BBQ Original Blend rub and some Sweet Baby Ray's cut with apple cider vinegar and a little brown sugar to taste. Back on the Weber kettle at 275 for about 90 minutes.

Thoughts:
    • This was my first time making true burnt ends and the process & head to head comparison between chuck roast and brisket point was both a learning experience and fun.
    • The chuck roast and the brisket point were insanely tender coming out of the sous vide. This was the first time I ever cooked a piece of meat that actually jiggled like jello!
    • Maybe I should have let them sit longer, or maybe I should have cooked to a lower temp, but both pieces of meat were very difficult to slice into cubes.
    • The chuck roast tasted great and was literally falling apart. I think that is the first time I achieved that with a chuck roast. I will definitely try the QVQ technique for cooking a chuck roast again.
    • The brisket point is definitely superior in my opinion for the burnt ends, both in texture (big difference) and taste (less of a difference, but still noticeable).
    Thanks to Troutman and willxfmr for their input/advise.
    I plan to order another chuck roast from Porter Road soon and try Troutman's medium rare SVQ approach next.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      I am sure Troutman will correct me if I missed what he said, but I think the 200* for the sous vide is too high. I think he was referring to taking to 200*+ in the final Q stage, not the SV stage. I find that 150-155* for 30+ hours for the SV stage, then smoking at 275* for 3 hours (or to target finish temp of 200*+) yields excellent results for slicing. Yours sounds more like a pulled chuckie.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer You are correct, I should have mentioned that. I go 160*F in the bath for about 30 hours.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Well that is embarrassing! I was a little curious as I had to keep adding water to the sous vide bath. Thank you both for pointing out my misunderstanding. I will make note of it for the next time I do this!

Woah - 47 hours at 200 degrees? Surprised there was anything left. 200 would be around the temp you would take it to if smoking it completely but not something you need to reach via SV.

I probably would've gone 155 for 36 hours or so to more closely mimic the traditional smoked texture. If you want more crust on it, you could've then shocked it and resmoked it for a few hours before cubing and tossing in sauce and finishing for burnt ends

Comment

Originally posted by shify View Post
      Woah - 47 hours at 200 degrees? Surprised there was anything left.
      This actually made me laugh out loud! Not quite an epic failure (the meat was incredibly tender!) but definitely a "don't do that again" type fail

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the official term is a ‘happy accident’ .

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here