Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARM AGING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARM AGING

I am wondering if Dr blonder, Meathead or any of you smart people have information on warm aging, the cooking sous vide a protean at 104 than raising temp 120 for a couple of hrs. than to your target temp for what ever time it takes for your preference.
    I have read what I can find on the interwebs and there ain't two many pictures for us guys that ain't to pretty smart. I did a tri tip salted for two days uncovered in the fridge salt was red boat fish sauce salt than seasoned with my regular black pepper, gran. garlic, gran. onion cooked at 104 for 2.5 hrs. kicked it up to 135 for 7 hrs. ice bath, fridge overnight than 1 hrs. in the freezer sliced very thin mixed the purge (yes I boiled it and strained it ) with home made beef stock for the jous best tri tip I have ever had. tender juicy packed with flavor. what I can figure the pasteurization was what keeps it safe and there is were I need the guys with brains to tell me how STUPID I am.

Sounds mighty dangerous. 131F is the absolute minimum safe SV temperature due to the possibility of spore-building bacteria that can survive indefinitely below 131F, only to potentially make you sick (or worse) just when you think it's safe.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; September 24, 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan, That is good advice and sound reason.

Another question on a similar topic (see below) would suggest you are simply introducing massive risks with the warm aging step with regards to dangerous toxins. All of the tenderness was delivered via the 7 hours at 135 but the toxins cannot be cooked out so it would seem you have been lucky so far.

I seem to be having some tough luck lately with butts. I put a boneless butt in the slow cooker, set it for 18 hours and went off to the office. Somehow the stupid cooker shut itself off somewhere in between, leaving an essentially raw butt sitting there for 9 hours. After calming down, and testing the stupid cooker, I just

I would love to be wrong but I can’t say I’d recommend this for the future.

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand that and the Modernist Cuisine talks about it I don't have that set but Stella culinary and Kenji at serious eats also talks about it that's why I was hoping Prof. Blonder would chime in😎😎😎

I googled Kenji warm aging, modernist cuisine warm aging, and Stella culinary warm aging and didn’t find anything except the below.

https://stefangourmet.com/2018/04/30...ing-revisited/

Do you have any other links on this, particularly Kenji?

This guy acknowledges the food safety issues of 4 hours and proceeds to cook the meat for 3 hours in unsafe conditions before moving to safer temperatures. He is a financial risk manager and not a trained scientist, and he seems to think scalding the meat for 20 seconds is enough.

I am horrified at how risky and dangerous this is as this is a fun hobby but I don’t screw around when it comes to food safety. Just horrified.

There are many other approaches to improve tenderness in meat but this is not one.
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 24, 2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear it! 👍

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      in my defense of my ignorance I found the podcast of Stella culinary chef burton talks about enzyme stall and keeping SV beef at 105 for a couple of hrs. then to target temp to finish Stella culinary podcast 035 SV cooking the good the bad and the ugly at about 29 minute mark, there isn't much there about the subject but that's were I got interested about it😎😎😎

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Understood and thanks for following up. I can see how it can be interesting but doesn’t seem safe!

Yeah no. I'm not that much into puking.

Some SV 'enthusiasts' (Not you, papa bob, the guy you linked to) really annoy me. SV isn't magic. What's unsafe to do normally is unsafe in SV for the most part. The only reason we can cook below 140 safely is the much more efficient transfer to energy via water.
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 24, 2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      SV is really a good thing and I cook a lot SV enjoy the flavor, tenderness, wife says cant cook duck any other way extremely tender and wonderful crispy skin, chicken wing flats perfectly done seasoned well three minutes in the fryer yea buddy 😎😎😎

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here