Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-sear and post-sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-sear and post-sear?

I was looking around the web in preparation for my Anova to arrive, and I found some interesting information on Chef Steps. For some strip steaks, they did a pre-sear on the cold steaks, then heated them in them sous vide, then did a quick post sear. At the same time, they post-seared a non pre-seared steak. That one took much longer to get a good sear and had a larger bit of a gray ring under the crust. Has anyone tried this method, and do you think it would work for other meats, like pork steaks or chops?

The times I've done it, I do what I do in the Kamado; I cook in sous vide then I sear it. Truly tender, but I prefer the taste of it smoked 10 times better.

Comment

I never bother with pre sear. Always post sear.
      If you want to prevent the gray ring, wrap it in paper towel and cool it slightly while you get the grill or pan hot.
      The paper towel will dry the surface of the meat.

Comment

For the debate to be relevant, the cut needs to be at least 1.5 inches thick. Preferably more. If so, the reverse sear method is my go to technique. Grill at around 250-275 C. Lid down. Turn every 5 minutes or so. Bring cut to 10-15 degrees short of serving temperature. Rest meat while cranking grill to max temp. Sear meat, lid up, turning frequently, basting with each turn, until serving temperature reached. Remove from grill and serve (no need to rest further). You will get a great sear. An even cook (no grey area beneath the surface). Plus, you get to play with your food (and, let's face it, we all want to do that).

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          If you use the SnS, you don't have to wait. When my steaks hit 190, I fire up my chimney 3/4 full of briquets. By the time the coals are totally ashed over, the steaks are right around 125, my target temp. I add the coals and blast away, turning every 30-45 seconds. I have temped the grate over the SnS using my infrared therm and it maxed out at 1022 degrees. Perfect med rare edge to edge every time.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          FLBuckeye, did you mean to say "When my steaks hit" 100? Also, when you add your 3/4 full chimney of coals to the SnS, do you give the grates some time to heat up or just start right in?

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr ROK lol, that was a typo. I added a "1" in front of the 90.
          The grates get super hot really quick so waiting isn't really needed.
          The heat coming from the coals is so high that waiting isn't necessary

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here