Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO advice for SV Golbi ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, I don't think 18 hours is necessary. If they're already marinated, put 'em in later of 2-4 and SV for 2-3 hours I would think. Then nothing but a Warp 9 sear and they're done!

Comment

I think you could even go like 6-8 hours. What I'd do is put them in the SV bath in the morning, then pull them around dinner time and sear.

Now I want to go to Costco though.
      Last edited by rickgregory; September 12, 2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I'll be sure to post the whole process, probably on SUWYC (and here...) Tomorrow we SV, sear 'em, & eat 'em. Thanks all, for the inputs.

Comment

This is interesting. I make these all the time and I just grill them hot and fast over a charcoal fire. The always come out awesome. I suppose the SV step could make them a little easier to chew off the bone.......but......I kinda like that.

Let us know how it goes. I can check SUWYC too, but you should post the results here. I bet others would like to hear your results on this specifically.

Thanks for sharing this us!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the chew as well, but thought WTH, I'll try this.

Personally, I would just take 'em straight to the grill, like Koreans have been doing forever. But, ignoring this, I want to point out a couple of things here...

The ones they are using in the recipe are about 1/2" thick. Generally, flanken cut short ribs are cut a bit thinner, like quarter inch or so. They are using chuck short ribs, which are a bit different from what is sold as bone in short ribs (generally plate or otherwise more central to the carcass).

The thickness isn't really an issue at short rib timing, because it's long enough to get the center of whatever you're doing up to temp and held there for hours. We're after collagen breakdown, not just cooking the protein.

Their time/temp of 135/24 will not do a lot of tenderization. I mention that they are using chuck short ribs (that I use all the time), which have less connective gunk, and it's a bit better distributed, so they're getting a somewhat tender bite, but I don't think it's the best timing, and cutting it to 18 doesn't seem liable to improve it.

Consider, here is 24 at 144 on a real short rib (like what you have, only yours are cut sideways)

That's around where I would want a kalbi kui to come out.

Here's 48 at 129, and why they didn't produce a 129x24h will be kind of apparent:

I think the 135x18h will produce something with more chew than the 144x24h and the elastic band of the 129x48.

If you're married to the timing, I might go even hotter, to like 158...

That looks like it will make a nice bite.

Note: I would definitely strain the bag juice, because the onion and the pear aren't gonna give up much at any sous vide temp below 180... stupid plants and their pectin and hemicellulose (which don't really start to break down until 190+)... They will be warm, but not giving up their mojo. They'd be safe, because you'd gonna high heat these to caramelize some of that sugar. Not Warp 10, but maybe Warp 4.

That 158x16h looks real nice, a good use of SV.

One last reiteration, the Thickness to Time is a question of pasteurization and food safety. Not cellular breakdown. You do tender "steak house" steaks to the point of pasteurization, particularly if you are bulk processing a bunch of steaks, and intend to store some for later. For steaks that you aren't planning on storing for a while, you just cook based on thickness and desired doneness. Just like you do thick steaks via reverse sear. It's the same theory. For tough cuts and textural transformation, it's more like smoking a brisket, a butt, or ribs. Takes more time to get that jiggle or that break.

I lied, one last thing... if these are very thin, like 1/8 inch, I would probably just grill them on medium high heat after a 6-24 hr marinade, and call it a day. The SV on the very thin cuts won't really do you any favors.

Comment

REPORT on SVQ Golbi Ribs (I'll also post this on SUWYC)

As I previously noted, I was intrigued by the idea of sous vide-ing the ribs in hopes of making the connective tissue gelatinous. A number of you voiced concern that the original recipe called for too long in the bathtub. The recipe used boneless ½â€ short ribs. I had the ¼” bone in ribs (3 vac pacs from Costco.)

Here is the link, from Two Kooks in the Kitchen
            You will knock it out of the park with these mouthwatering sous vide Korean beef short ribs (Kalbi). So tender - with flavors you will LOVE!

THIS BAG ABOUT TO SPEND 72 HOURS in the REFRIGERATOR (TOO LONG)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8802.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1093765

1st error: Due to grandkids obligations, and other distractions, I left the ribs in their marinade for 72 hours. Given the thinness, this left the meat too immersed in the flavors, too tenderized, and not ‘beefy’ enough

READY for the SV, in 6 bags

Name:	IMG_8838.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1093761

2nd error: SV Given the input, I reduced the SV time (at 135) to 5 hours, down from the 12-30 hours recommended in the original recipe. However, and as many had warned, the strips of meat tended to fall apart as I was very gently removing them from their bags. This led me to use the propane Weber with the flat Grill Grates for most of the meat, only using the wood fire for the slightly thicker pieces that remained intact.

POST 5 HOURS in 135 SV

Name:	IMG_8849.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1093760

The meal was still very tasty. We have four bottles of Korean sauces from Revel, a great modern Korean fusion restaurant. (They have another restaurant in Seattle named Joule, with an amazing signature dish of sliced rice cake with chorizo, green onions.)

Name:	IMG_8863.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1093762

I apologize for the refrigerator photo of the various pickled products we used on our lettuce wraps; my daughter had already returned them to the fridge. KimChee from Costco, thin sliced cucumber pickles and jalapeño pickles made by a friend, using our Hood River garden produce, and pickled green beans made by my sister using her beans.

Name:	IMG_8864.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1093763

So, in conclusion, I wouldn’t do this again, especially not with the Flanken cut ribs. I’ve made them before, following the Serious Eats recipe, and I enjoyed them much more.

ON GAS WEBER with GRILL GRATES

Name:	IMG_8852.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1093766 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8855.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	1093768

OVER WOOD ON ARGENTINIAN GRILL

Name:	IMG_8856.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	1093770

Name:	IMG_8859.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	1093769

GRILL GRATES to the LEFT WOOD FIRED on the VIEWER'S RIGHT

Name:	IMG_8857.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	1093767

Name:	IMG_8861.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1093764

Oh, and BTW, the folks who leave too much edible protein on the little bones still left too much on these bones. So, no benefit there either.

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like very good eating. And it also sounds like an excellent reason to try again, followed by even more good eating.

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim White For the thin cut Kalbi/Galbi ribs, I'll go back to the SE recipe, and marinade overnight, then fast and hot on the grill. That was delicious, and they had some integrity. However, I'm thinking I need to alter my guest list, to drop those who waste too much on the bones. (That means you, youngest daughter and her husband!)

Ahumadora made a suggestion once to do those thin cut ribs Argentinian style and just use S&P and maybe some GP then cook them hot and fast over an open wood fire and serve with chimichurri sauce. I like the Korean style very much, but I like the Argentinian style just a little bit more.

Comment

Given all the error, still seems like a pretty good cook.

I'm sorry I was too late to offer the advice, but after the extended marinade, was probably tenderized enough to just turn and burn. I've made a similar (delicious) error with some trader joe's Kalbi marinaded flanken short ribs.

Comment

I watched this in interest, as I personally felt they would fall apart after the SV step. I've had the same issue with flanken cut ribs. The wife and I tear through them and gnaw them down to the little bones. My daughter and a few others who have had them with me leave like half the meat on their plate. The fat has flavor! Especially from the Korean spices in the marinade.

These are one of the things I do like to cook on the rail side of Grillgrates, on my Weber gas grill, since it really is a hot and fast cook. In fact, these are where all the grease that caused a melt down of my grill came from, haha...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here