Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QV Observation and Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    I was intuitively thinking the same thing and was about to dive into the Google rabbit hole to dig around a little. Thank you for pulling me back from the abyss!!

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Some of the smoke particles are so small, they can penetrate the bag without compromising the bag. Straight through the bag, like Ant-Man going down to the Quantum Realm. Consider, if they are small enough to penetrate the bag, what else might they penetrate? The meat, obviously, but your skin? Yep, some can go straight through you like a quasar, you wouldn't even notice it.

Perfectly normal, no reduction in the quality of the product.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, every time I smoke and then SV, I get a lot of smoke smell in the kitchen. But it's not leaking bags, even happens when I double bag AND double seal.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I should have known that but was reading elsewhere and forgot those two degrees. Will go 132 in future.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    ^^^^ yup

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I would double bag but the waste bothers me no end. I did not need to do anything extra for my 72 hour cook last week. Maybe I will look at those environmentally friendly anova bags again.
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 24, 2021, 08:02 PM.

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Jim White - You’re absolutely correct about the futility of keeping smoke molecules out of the SV water. I just double-bag out of an over abundance of paranoia about keeping SV water out of the innermost bag.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I already do the double-sealing routinely for both the freezer and SV. But it looks like the consensus is that a second bag isn't worth it as the volatiles come through anyway.

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    SmokingPat - Both. I double-bag two double-sealed bags.

• SmokingPat
    commented on 's reply
    Double-bagging or double-sealing?
    I've read stories about people having vacuum bag seals break, or ziplock bags failing. Because of that, I double-seal my vacuum bags: seal normally, pull the bag 1/4" out of sealer, then do a seal-only. (Hope that makes sense. 😄)

• Polarbear777
    replied
    "Many websites recommend sous vide in the 120 to 130°F range and many people believe that over 120°F bacteria can’t grow. Not so, says ML Tortorello, PhD, Chief of the Food Technology branch in the Division of Food Processing Science & Technology at FDA, Editor of Food Microbiology, a peer reviewed journal, and co-editor of the Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology 2nd Edition. "It is true that most foodborne pathogens such as Salmonella, Listeria, and pathogenic strains of E. coli, cannot grow at 120°F, but that is an easy temp for thermophilic bacteria [bacteria that like warm temps]. Some examples of foodborne pathogens that can grow at higher temps are Clostridium perfringens and Bacillus cereus which has a maximum growth temp of 131°F.” ”

Sous-Vide-Que combines the best of three great cooking methods: grilling, smoking, and sous vide. From grilling you get the rich flavors of browning. From smoking, you get the alluring aromas of wood smoke. And from sous vide, you get evenly cooked meat that is incredibly tender and juicy.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    I recommend 132-135 for long sessions. 131 is highest temp bacteria can survive and above 135 you start to lose texture advantage (but if going for a schedule advantage then higher is ok).

yes. Smoke particles permeate even a double bag and are nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Yeah aromatic molecules are tiny and will escape. Not a leak, not a thing to worry about really.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I think I'll probably start double-bagging.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I often smell volatiles that seem to find their way from the bag into the SV bath. It never seems traceable to a leak nor seems to affect the cook … but I’ve taken to double-bagging most of the time anyway.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest