Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning First QVQ Cook for Work Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Or you could load the cooler with other hot things or even hot water containers to give you more hold time

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    "Birds of a Feather"

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    bbqLuv Instructions are for sissy’s. Do what I do.
    1. Unbox product and throw instructions away.
    2. Spend hours trying to assemble product.
    3. Cuss, scream and holler cause nothing works right.
    4. Walk away pissed off and grab a beer. Alcohol always helps with product assembly.
    5. Consume several more beers for the next attempt.
    6. Start your second attempt at assembly….to no avail.
    7. Cuss, scream and holler even louder than the first time
    8. Have wife retrieve instructions out of garbage

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Me too. I got a sous vide setting in our insta pot.
    I guess I should read the instructions.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Could this be the same excuse I need for a vacuum sealer? I agree it reheats well, but I am kinda excited about doing QVQ now.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

The grill is charcoal I know that so I could bring along some coals as a backup plan. No portable grill and also the need for a chafing dish. Now I think about it, I would probably need to check to see if the grill wouldn’t be used by someone else bringing food.

The other option is per PBK’s comments simply cook to 160 or so in the final smoke and give me more time to get everything arranged with the chafing dish onsite and so we can serve it at peak delicious.

• Red Man
    replied
    One of my favorite parts of pulled pork is all the bits of bark mixed in. I worry the QVQ method would diminish the bark. Not completely of course, but reduce it a bit. Pulled pork reheats so well that I’d smoke it ahead of time, pull, vac seal, and reheat for service.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    When I did this last time I did QVQ pulled chuck. I did the final smoke on site (I brought my PK original). People were amazed how I cooked that in a little over an hour.

most grills they have onsite are either park charcoal grills or gas grills. You’d need to do indirect to finish a QVQ.

The problem with transport is that if it’s straight smoke you are putting it in the cooker at ~ 200F so that will stay hot for hours. With QVQ you aren’t going above 140, so you won’t get much cooler hold time.

if they have a gas grill you can probably finish Q indirect. If they have a big park style charcoal grill you can get really big disposable aluminum pans (turkey size or bigger) and build a coal fire under one side of an inverted pan and get a somewhat indirect heat on the other side.

if you have to finish at home I’m sure you can drop in a cooler at 140 and it will be ok for an hour. You should wait to pull it until you are there so it doesn’t get too cool but if it does you can always warm it up a bit on-site.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Smoking it with cherry and oak wood chunks of course

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Everything I’ve done has turned out great with little effort, except when the Joule broke. But they shipped me a new one free or charge.

It is amazing for steaks and other small cuts of meat. Plus, as you can see gives me the flexibility to deliver pulled pork without having to do an overnight cook.

• Max Good
    replied
    STEbbq you're going to inspire me to finally take the sous vide plunge!

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Facility rules, not mine!

Sad though for sure.

• Panhead John
    replied
    One thing I’d tweak…..that silly No Beer Allowed rule.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    started a topic Planning First QVQ Cook for Work Picnic

Planning First QVQ Cook for Work Picnic

Work has given me the opportunity to share my BBQ with my work buddies finally, so I'm taking advantage of it. I thought pulled pork sounded best (someone else already is bringing brisket). Probably just one butt (anywhere from 6-15 pounds).

The main challenges are the 3pm start time, and the fact that the picnic is 45 minutes away from where I am. I understand there is a grill there, but I am not sure of its condition, and no electricity.

The easiest solution is QVQ. I smoke and sous vide the meat to ready before the picnic, and then smoke for 2-3 hours to 140 IT and having it ready by 2-2:30pm or so to drive over. That way, I don't have to worry about trying to smoke something overnight or in the middle of the night and not having the meat ready in time.

I was more or less going to follow Polarbear777 's approach here with some mods for pork (using MMD instead of BBBR), and probably adding some more MMD before the last smoke.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie

It does seem like the group has settled on 135 for 72 hours for traditional pulled pork texture. Per Potkettleblack 's latest notes, I am not going to worry about going over 135 for the final smoke if I can generate a good bark.

If the Joule fails (mine did the first time I did brisket midway through the 72 hour cook), I would shock and refrigerate, then smoke the usual way to 203 at the best time I can figure. Ideally, the partial sous vide would have reduced the stall time, so it'd be easier to finish cooking on the day of assuming I get up at 5am.

I would not shred the pulled pork until service, but instead store it in a aluminum foil pan with foil and towels for the trip over.

I am a bit concerned about the purge (see https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ss-and-failure ) . I plan to lightly salt with kosher and use MMD, so that seems to be okay for just throwing the purge in unfiltered before I drive over.

Items I plan to bring with me for the trip:

Meat
    Aluminum pan/towels
    Chafing dish ( https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...76CHAFKIT.html or https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...FOLDCHAFE.html ) Any thoughts on disposable versus SS?
    Serving utensils
    Water for chafing dish
    Matches
    Meat shredders
    Disposable gloves
    2 Black Swan BBQ sauces + bottle of Meathead Carolina Gold

Plates, fork/knives/spoons, and napkins will be provided. No beer allowed.

Anything that I am missing or that you would tweak?
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 1, 2021, 08:56 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here