Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning First QVQ Cook for Work Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEbbq
    replied
    fzxdoc It was super fun. Very straightforward and delivered outstanding pulled pork. I wish my family liked it so I could make it more, as pulling it apart is so fun it must be criminal. Everyone at the picnic except for one guy who made brisket (it was gone before I got there) generally bought stuff at the store, so the pulled pork was definitely the star.

I was wondering about the purge, and I gave it a taste before pouring it in, and it was just juices versus salty, so in it went (only needed about half to give the meat a nice coating). I did need to ramp up the temps to 375 to get the meat to 160 before driving over, so started off at 250, and kept upping it over the course of three hours. I ended up 45 minutes later (45 minute drive turned into 1.5 hours due to traffic/me lost), but meat was still perfect and hot.

That is a really good idea on the beef chuck so I'll have to remember that for next time.

Everything with the Joule is so easy, it makes you look like a rock star.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    What an adventure! Thanks for talking us along!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    It's so nice to hear that all turned out so well, STEbbq . So did you do the last Q part at your workplace or on your home smoker?

Using the purge makes a huge difference in amping up the flavor. Sometimes when I smoke chuck roasts for pulled beef, I'll SVQ one of them and do the others all on the smoker just so I can have the purge to add to the drippings and mix everything in with the meat. Best of both worlds that way.

Congrats on a job well done. Wasn't it a lot of fun, trying a new technique and everything coming out so nicely?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    I will say the chafing dishes from webresturant were utter crap and they were too late for the picnic so I had to buy new ones locally. However, the heating pad and the Cambro bag were top notch as was the Rubbermaid container.
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 22, 2021, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Took final temps to 160-170 with no issues and poured in purge with no issues either.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Success! Everyone raved about the pulled pork and said the Carolina gold was amazing. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. That is a good idea. I will do that today.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    You may want to give the Joule a good clean afterwards, following theJoule cleaning instructions in the app. We've had a discussion here before about whether the smoke particles/components that filter through can damage a SV heater, and the consensus of opinon was that all would be fine. I just clean my Joule after a QVQ cook to feel good about it.

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Carry on! Sounds like things are going well. You're right, it won't make a difference if there are pork chunks in a pan for the last part of your QVQ experience. More room for bark!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2021, 07:03 AM.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Well the meat is now in the fridge with the purge stored separately. One butt fell apart into two to three chunks as I was taking it out of the bath so I guess I have to cook that on my bbq tray tomorrow. I am going to aim for about 2.5 hours at 275 and add the smaller bits towards the end. It is all being shredded so I guess it doesn’t matter how many pieces we end up with beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    double bagging for long (24 hour+ ) cooks is a good precaution, though. Not for the smoke particle reason but because bags fail.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I never knew this, but it explains a lot. Several times I smelled or felt that the sous vide bag must be leaking due to this, and ended up double bagging some things.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Update pic. Smoked it with 3–4 chunks of wood the first time so planning on another 2-3 chunks on Sunday.

Yeah, you can see the water is cloudy but as the seals are holding, I am not concerned. I am just glad the Joule didn’t crap out on me like last time.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Don’t be alarmed if the water gets cloudy. Smoke particles can permeate the bag even if you have a good seal.

Leave a comment:

• Draznnl
    replied
    Looks great so far. Can't wait for the post about your co-workers gobbling it all up and looking for more;

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here