Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Take the Plunge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so I finally finished the short ribs. What fun! And they worked out great.

As mentioned, I adapted Meathead's Smoked and Braised Beef Short Ribs. I dry brined one package of the short ribs and then into the tub they went, at 131 for 48 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-12 15.50.20 (2).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1063886

They got shocked in ice water and then were held several days in the refrigerator. Today, they got taken out of the bag, rinsed off and hit with Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub. They went onto my smoker at 200 to an internal temperature of 130.

Name:	2021-07-20 15.55.20 (2).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1063883

This went a lot faster than I expected, so after a five minute rest, they were tented with foil over a plate and into a warm oven at about 140-150 to hold for just under two hours. They looked good when they came out and got sliced into individual ribs.

Name:	2021-07-20 16.42.26 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1063884

Name:	2021-07-20 18.28.17 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1063885

Meanwhile, I prepared the "stew" portion following the recipe fairly closely. I cut down some on the wine and beef broth since I wasn't braising the beef. I simmered just over an hour with the pot uncovered until the sauce hit a consistency I liked. That rested an hour or so to let the flavors mingle and was reheated just in time for serving. The dish was served on egg noodles, as suggested.

Name:	2021-07-20 18.30.32.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1063887

I see lots of SVQ in my future.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW! Those look delicious. SVQ is a thing for a reason. I can't wait to see what you do next.

Good job and thanks for the pics

Comment

The ribs look great. I do not have the circulator yet, but I did smoke a chuck roast until 150 degrees a couple weeks ago. I then vacuum sealed and put it in a instant pot on warm setting (mine does not the sous vide button). It runs about 145 degrees. I let it in until the next day. It was great.

I just went got another one to smoke over a batch of bourbon beans, and I will put it in the instant pot bath again. My wife will get me the setup similar to yours for Anniversary or Christmas.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here