Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Container, Alternative to Coleman 48 Can stacker? Cambro Go Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Container, Alternative to Coleman 48 Can stacker? Cambro Go Box?

I have a good container for my "day to day" sous vide needs but am looking to do some longer sous vide with bigger cuts of meat and for longer periods.

If I was in the USA, I would just pick up a Coleman 48 Can Stacker and go that route as it seems to be very effective and fit for purpose.

But I am in the UK and you cannot get the above unless you want to pay a fortune in shipping and import duty.

I was thinking about using the Cambro "Go Box" as I can get them here in the UK and if I got an extra lid, I could use it both for the actual sous vide cook as well as for "holding" meat when needed.

https://www.cambro.com/uk/Products/i...-transporters/

Any thoughts on the above? I would modify one of the top loaders lids so my Anova SV would slot in. And I like that they offer a variety of lids including a split "flip lid".

They are not cheap but the cost is the same as the Coleman here in the UK. I would get something I could use for multiple use cases and with the ability to get a split lid and normal lid.

My next question is whether to get something in a 35L, 46L or 53L...The Coleman is about 31L.
    Last edited by TexasDave; June 12, 2021, 04:24 AM.

I don't SV so you can take my comment with a grain of salt. I wouldn't think the interior surface of the Go Box would be easy to clean or keep sanitary. I understand that the Go Box would not contact the food and only the bath water during SV.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrybell View Post
      I don't SV so you can take my comment with a grain of salt. I wouldn't think the interior surface of the Go Box would be easy to clean or keep sanitary. I understand that the Go Box would not contact the food and only the bath water during SV.
      Can I ask why you think this? As you state, all it will come in contact with is warm water? Why would a normal cooler be better? Just curious on your thinking. Thanks!!

Comment

• jerrybell
        jerrybell commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems like the surface would be more porous. Lots of pockets for liquid to hang out in for an extended period of time. I'm judging the porosity from styrofoam drinkware. From others responses it seems like similar containers are working well for them. Their comments come from actual usage and mine are from speculation only.

I have the Anova double walled container. Some people poo pooed it before but it works quite well for long cooks. However, it has a limit on the size of the food being cooked. It seems like a larger Coleman, which is much cheaper, would work well since the lid is closed. All SV equipment states its largest volume of water it will control but I think a cooler will help keep the temp constant so that the SV machine will be able to handle larger volumes of water. There may be a limit because the heater may have to stay on longer or on all the time to maintain that temp. So you may be able to handle the volume, but shorten the life of the SV machine. Another option would be to get 2 machines to compensate for the volume.

Also, I have hard water so I put some distilled white vinegar in the water so that scale will not build up on the heating element like it does in our hot water heater.
      Last edited by JimLinebarger; June 12, 2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I just use a throwaway styrofoam box that I rescued from salvage. It's not watertight, so I put a cheap plastic bin with a lid inside. I cut a hole for the SV circulator in the cheap plastic lid, then put the styrofoam lid on top of everything. The styrofoam isn't very sturdy so I have to be careful but I've had it for about 3 years. When the styrofoam lid is on, the water in the plastic bin is still warm 16 hours after the cook is done, so it insulates pretty well.
        Last edited by RobertC; June 12, 2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

So, you'll be fine to use any water tight container with a lid as long as you can cut a hole for the circulator. That's all you really need. If you're thinking of using racks, etc to hold things in the water bath make sure they fit, of course.

Comment

Get a plastic storage container of about the right size for what you're cooking. Toss the lid that comes with the container. Make a box and lid out of rigid foam insulation board and sticky tape from the home improvement store to wrap around your container. It's cheap, effective, and easy to make with nothing more than a sharp knife.

Comment

I dunno if they have these Home Depot style buckets there, but they work well. I also use an emptied cleaned cat litter container. 40 lbs of cat liter holds a lotta water and meat.

Comment

Not sure exactly what you are cooking but this one looks large enough to cook a full packer brisket. It is a little pricey though. I'm also assuming Amazon in Europe can get you this at the same price point and availability.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here