Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Tri-Tip steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide Tri-Tip steak

mackdaddy

This "steakie" I think is my last one off of a full size tri-tip that was gifted to me. I love the beefy flavor, I just don't like the really thin slicing I've had to do (always against the grain) to get rid of the extra chewiness. I'm real sensitive to texture.

This dude has equal parts black pepper, ancho chili powder, and cayenne pepper all over it.

I've been able to keep the temp at 132 degrees (+/- 2 degrees). Almost one hour in, plan to go 3 hours. Then sear with some butter in a pan, and add sauteed onions and mushrooms for the final dish.

I stir every 10-12 minutes. I have the meat pulled up a little more to the side than what it shows in the first pic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010016.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	103327

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	103328

Put some type of silicon thingy to protect the bag from the heat off of the pot. Unless you got where it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The bag is not, couple edges floating just above the bottom. Plus I have the burner positioned more towards the "other end" of the pot. It is one of the smallest burners on this range top, with 5 burners and 3 sizes.

Absolutely freaking magical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	103364

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great way to put it. Sous Vide can be freaking magical.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt. For me, I see no need for ribeyes or fish. But something like this, blows my mind.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard come on over to the vacuum side!!

Wow!!!! That is extraordinary. You my good man are a genius. Will definitely now get a sous vide, even though I did get the Smoke Vault. Or I could do what you did. I would probably burn down the house though.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      mackdaddy if you want to experiment a bit before investing in a sous vide circulator just bring a couple large pots of water up to the temp you want (i.e. 130 for steaks) and poor it into a beer cooler. Throw your steaks in a ziplock bag and push the air out of the bag and throw them in the cooler for an hour or so. Pull em out and sear them on the grill very fast and enjoy.
      Last edited by Dr ROK; August 18, 2015, 04:43 PM.

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely will try that. I'll try on a "cheap" steak on sale so not wasting a good cut of meat if it does not turn out good. Will let you know what happens.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      mackdaddy, I've used sirloin and it has been great. Throw in a TBS or 2 of butter per steak with a sprig of rosemary and a few garlic cloves. Sear on the grill after the stint in the cooler. Add a bit of salt and pepper just before serving.

That looks incredible Jerod. Thanks for the post

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here