Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ / QVQ "Sticky" for Pork Butt, Brisket and Beef Short Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ / QVQ "Sticky" for Pork Butt, Brisket and Beef Short Ribs?

I am wanting to try to do some SVQ/QVQ for some upcoming gatherings. I am happy to use the traditional route when it is just me or a few close friends but for large gatherings, the thought of being able to prep stuff beforehand and then just smoke a few hours on the day would be nice.

I am looking for a good "sticky" or post for Brisket, Pork Butt and Beef Ribs. Can be here or elsewhere but have to think there is lots of good stuff here?

Not looking for recipes - really the technique and temps folks use.

Beef Ribs I have found this and it looks solid:

I can’t take the credit here for cooking technique, but I can say the meat from these smoked beef ribs is the best beef I have ever tasted!…The credit for the cooking technique all goes to my great friend, Jay, that cooked with us this year at the 2016 Texas Eggfest held near Austin, in Driftwood, TX.  We are calling this “award winning”, because we ended up winning at the Eggfest.  There were over two-thousand attendees that voted for their favorite dishes with around 50 cooks sharing their delicious creations.  It is such a great honor to be one of the winners!  Thank you to all who voted for us!

Pork Buttbutt I have these two:

Who says you can't get a nice smoke ring with SVQ...?:cool: SV: nekkid @ 158x24, chilled in ice bath and refrigerated for 2 days. Q: Dried off and rubbed with Killer Hogs, into the PBC for bark, using hickory and cherry, pulled at internal temp of ~150. Added a very small amount of the purge back into the final pulled

Brisket I have this:

Can folks point me to other tecniques for the above they have used and liked please?

My understanding is that SVQ is Sous Vide then Smoke. And QVQ is Smoke - SV - Smoke.

Any good articles on when to use SVQ versus QVQ?

Many thanks for any pointers to techniques for the above or any good threads that would get someone started in this area. Thanks!

I don't SVQ nor QVQ but there may be some info here.... Suggestions for things to sous vide (profitably) - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

A really good resource, my go to for all things Sous, resides here:

There's a good bit on brisket and pastrami in this forum, as well as PP. Just scroll through the forum. I'm not generally lazy, but I am about linking in the forum. Sorry.

Comment

In addition to the above-mentioned resources, have a look HERE at Meathead's SVQ ebook. Another excellent resource (especially as it pertains to SV food safety) can be found HERE.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; May 18, 2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

There is no one answer - depends what you are looking to get out of it.

But quite simply for QVQ
          1) Rub
          2) Smoke to a temp not to exceed your SV temp
          3) Vacuum seal and cook at desired temp for the desired time based on personal preference (e.g., for brisket, some like medium rare brisket and cook at ~135 for 48-72 hrs, others like more traditional texture and will go ~155 for around 24hrs).
          4) Shock and hold in fridge till ready to smoke
          5) Re-rub and then smoke till warmed and bark is set. Typically takes 2-3 hours from fridge temp

SVQ would just start with step 3.

The specifics as far as time, temp, rub - that is up to you and the texture/finish you want. Lower temp will be more steak-like but will need a lot more time. Higher temp is more traditional smoked texture. For brisket, I wouldn't go above 155 and for pulled pork I wouldn't go above 160ish

Lots of posts on this site for every approach - so poke around

Comment

So, a) we should sticky the big post that floats around here. but also b) SVQ/QVQ is usually talked about, here at least, as a way to get brisket fully tender and smokey but at a medium rare temp. If OP is looking for a way to simply have a brisket done to the traditional ~200F temp, then I'd adapt the technique... I'd SV to a well done temp, something like 160 or so and then smoke it the rest of the way on the day of.

Comment

TexasDave I will chime in, after having done all of one pastrami (brisket flat) using the QVQ method. What I did that time, which worked VERY well, was:
              1. Smoke the brisket flat until it had a nice bark, and was just past the stall (170).
              2. Vacuum sealed and put in the fridge for a couple of days.
              3. Put into a SV bath at 195F for 4 hours to finish.
              In my case, I was doing this to use SV to replace the traditional steaming finish to doing a pastrami, but I was impressed by how well the bark stayed intact in the vacuum bag, even with a little purge. I think this method would work well for butts or full brisket, or other items where you want to have it "most of the way" before the day of a large event. I would still smoke anything like that to something like 170F, just to have good bark, then vacuum seal and refrigerate. On the day of serving, drop into a hot SV bath at 195F for several hours - this is the typical temp you start checking for doneness on brisket and pulled pork anyway.

Alternatively, just do your SV to desired doneness, refrigerate, and on the day of serving, smoke until the food reaches an internal temp of 140F for food safety reasons.

I feel that SVQ or QVQ only makes sense for these large cuts, or tough/lean cuts that don't do well with traditional smoking. I would never do it for ribs myself, since those are usually done in 5-ish hours anyway.

For other techniques used in QVQ and SVQ, i.e. for doing a medium rare brisket, you will want to follow someone else's advice. Potkettleblack has been a SV guru for me in my time on the Pit, and if you search his old posts, you will find a lot of very good advice.

All in all though, I will throw out the fact that for all practical purposes, I think SVQ will not yield traditional BBQ results. QVQ will come closer, but I personally feel like bark and other elements, including overall smoke level, suffer in all of these methods.
              Last edited by jfmorris; May 18, 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for all the tips and links - THANK YOU!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here