Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commerical Sous Vide here in the U.S.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commerical Sous Vide here in the U.S.A.

Saw this at Meatingplace.com

just don't look right I am sure they taste great but were is the smoke and fire and empty beer cans

Comment

The first commercial use of sous vide was at the Holiday Inn in Greenville, South Carolina.

Comment

I cook sous vide a lot in the wintertime when I really don't relish the idea of hiking through snow drifts every 20 minutes to baby my fire. I will ALWAYS prefer the smoke flavor on meats, but sous vide is an excellent way to get similar tenderness and juiciness to a long low and slow cook without the BBQ. I have the Sansaire model and am extremely happy with it. Great for fast thawing meat too when I (frequently) forget to take things out in time!

Comment

Supposedly that plant has the largest sous vide line. Meatingplace has a time lapse video of the building of it.

Comment

Looks like cheating, but I want one. What to drop on my Christmas list... Heck with it I'll just add it on.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, go for it....

I have a sansaire and a searzall and it rocks in the winter. Family has Anova and they love it as well.

72 hour short ribs are ridiculous

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet, I also think Tri-Tip would rock as well. Wouldn't take super thin slices on some parts of it.

I looked on Amazon and saw 2 different types I think. One was a machine that did the whole thing. You put the vacuumed packed food in the "bathe" and it cooks it etc. The other was a tube type thing that you insert into a pot of water and then does everything? And the vacuumed packer you buy separately. What exactly do you need to get started? As Vinnie Barbarino used to say, "I'm so confused."

Comment

• cosmo
              cosmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Also you don't have to have a chamber vacuum or FoodSaver sealer but it helps. You can use the archimedes principle to get air out of ziplock bag

• cosmo
              cosmo commented
              Editing a comment
              One last thing. I've done baby backs for 24hr at 144f and finished on both grill and oven. They are awesome but make no mistake, they are not the same as smoked or slow cooked on grill. Not worse, just different.

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that explains a lot and now makes sense.

Serious Eats did a review of several and I believe the Anova was their top pick. That's what I ended up getting and am totally happy with it.

Comment

I love my Sansaire! And it's a LOT easier to store than the Supreme, which is about twice the size of a bread machine. Who has room for all these giant kitchen appliances!? I've heard wonderful things about the Anova as well, but have not tried. Good tip from Dr Rok to go check out SeriousEats.com. Kenji Lopez has some very excellent tutorials on Sous Vide

Comment

• cosmo
                cosmo commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah both seriouseats and chefsteps are two good sites

I got the Anova a few months ago and it rocks, particularly in conjuction with a FoodSaver.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here