Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If one were to sous vide flank steak for fajita's before searing at 163-164 (sous vide temp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If one were to sous vide flank steak for fajita's before searing at 163-164 (sous vide temp)

How long would one do that, per se if by chance one were to partake of such an endeavor?

I'm thinking 3 hours.

I couldn't help it. I did the oven sous vide. Vacuumed packed meat stayed sunk like a champ in the big pot. Water stays VERY constant in the oven, aka slow temp swings while I was dialing her in. Eventually settled at 225 oven temp. I checked the temp (Thermapen) every 12-15 minutes and stirred the water. When I got the water to 163-164 it stayed there for over 3 hours.

I would prefer to do a medium-rare setting for 5 hours, but cooking for a well-done crowd has its sacrifices. Enough caramelized onions and some sour cream, and I can hang. Plus things were kinda hectic with one of my wife's nieces ending up in the hospital, so I only had about 3.5 hours to sous vide.

Wife purchased the already seasoned "fajita meat." Obviously flank. Most tender flank I've ever eaten. Perfect chew. I plan to make sure she doesn't purchase the already seasoned crap anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	102084 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	102085 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	102086

Comment

Interesting. Looks good for well done. Definitely agree with you on preseasoned anything. I can always do better myself. Thanks for the post Jerod

Comment

why didn't one cook to 130 for what ever and if one were to per take in such a thing after slicing put said med rare slices in to some simmering beef jus if one would have from ones last brisket cook and have the best of ones world.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Too much going on to even think about that.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here