Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for things to sous vide (profitably)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know carrots have been mentioned, I’ll mention again - they are fabulous via SV.

I love SV ribeye and then searing in the cast iron. Something about the combination that makes this just perfect. It’s not my always cook method, but it is good.

the white meat stuff, I think is great for this as well. I’ve figured out good ways to cook thick pork chops and chicken breast on the grill, but SV is almost cheating - if you get the finish right. I like to cook boneless,skinless chicken breast to 150 and then grill sear, making sure to flip flip flip flip. Otherwise you cook and not sear. I love a boneless, thick pork chop cooked to 140 and seared on the grill the same way, or cast iron. But have to flip constantly.

Salmon is another great SV cook and cooked even to a less temp.

Something I have not done, but a friend of mine has - bacon. Says you get the best of both worlds, great texture of chewy bacon but you can finish it to get a bit of crisp. He uses thick cut bacon for this and said it would be his always cook for special breakfasts because it takes some time.

The Anova Sous Vide app is pretty fun to look through and I follow what Kenji has listed in the app for recipes for everything I list above and they turn out great! Hope that helps you.

enjoy!

Comment

My wife's childhood memory of pork chops was tough and dry meat and certainly not a pleasure to eat. Pork with even a slightly pink tint would classed as raw meat and would not be eaten. Until I made her sous vide pork chops, medium, slightly pink and finished on the grill. Best pork chops ever and a lot more difficult to achieve by just grilling or frying in the pan.

As mentioned by other members previously, sous vide is great for very lean meats like pork loin and pork chops. I have had sous vide fish before (not cooked by me....) and did not like the texture. However I still need to try cooking sous vide fish myself.

Comment

In addition to everything else mentioned, custards come out beautifully. Pot de creme, flan, cheesecake, egg bites, quiche filling, what have you.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BED4D174-BF28-406D-BCD3-00DF37A8E0B8.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1032780Click image for larger version

Name:	2507A9AA-66A2-4897-9A34-2DAF334BCE60.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1032779 A couple of months ago I had some giant lobster tails. They were very expensive and I was worried about over cooking them. I found SV instructions online and gave that a try.

I removed the meat from the shell and sealed them up in foodsaver bags with several pats of butter in each bag. Then in the pool for about a hour. I don’t remember the temperature but that is easily found online. They are essentially poached in butter when cooking. They came out absolutely perfect.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, lobster is one of those things that you want cooked to a precise temp because doing it 5 degrees too much can ruin them and SV shines at that kind of thing. I've said it before but... SV is a tool in the arsenal. Just like I wouldn't smoke every single thing or deep fry everything or poach everything, I wouldn't SV everything. Use it where it's best or most convenient. Or, depending on how one cooks, you might not have a use for it.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Any shellfish will profit from this technique.
            Also nice to sear it on a grill after...
            You can also put additional flavoring in the bag with the butter, and clarify the purge for a sauce afterwards. It will coat the meat and due to the loose texture/watery nature, get a bit in the flesh.

I've had an Anova Wifi for several years, and over time, used it less and less. Most of my use has been in the winter, when the weather was too nasty to get outside and fire up the smoker, and for leaner cuts. I've done some very good pork loins, SV'ed for 4-5 hours at 140-145F, then searing the outside in a skillet or hot oven. I've also used it to have 8-12 steaks all sitting at medium rare, ready to go onto a grill or griddle for the sear as soon as I walked in the door from church, in order to feed a lunch crowd steaks without waiting an hour after everyone got there.

The only recent thing that really got me jazzed on the SV technique was a pastrami I did using the SVQ method. As I recall, I smoked it until about 170F, then vacuum sealed it and put it into the fridge for a couple of days, and then tossed it into a SV bath at 195F for several hours to finish. The bark was still intact, and it was amazingly tender with the SV finish.

Comment

I just realized I've had my Sous Vide for 5 years now. When I first got it, I used it a lot. Especially like jfmorris mentioned above during the winter when it's too cold to want to cook outside, but I don't buy into that excuse coming from someone in Bama

Anyway, my use has drastically dwindled off and I probably use it less than once a month outside of January and February. I love fresh veggies cooked SV, but got tired of fighting floating bags all the time. During the other 10 months of the year, it's pretty much just BSCB or once in a while pork chops anymore. I'm even getting to where I'd rather do BSCB in the instant pot or slow cooker in liquid over the SV.

I've never done the cooler setup for larger cuts, so I'm in the camp that I'll take the better flavor of a grilled steak start to finish over the tenderness gain from SVQ.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Cold is all relative. Below 50 and miserable blowing rain is a lot of the winter here, and getting dark at 4:30pm in the middle of winter sucks too. We've had our share of days below freezing the past few years though.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris I agree, just like when it gets over 90 here it’s too hot. It’s all what you’re used to. Some years we never hit 100, when we do it’s usually only for a week or two.

Once I started doing pork chops and tenderloins in the SV I never had another dry pork dinner. Family continues to be amazed. I'd buy a SV for that alone.

The peace of mind when SVing chicken for fried chicken for a crowd is worth the cost of the SV as well. I never have to worry about someone getting a piece of "raw" chicken. Plus the chicken is always moist.

I have two Joules and use them weekly.

For the best cook temps, I usually rely on the Joule app recommendations, which set the SV cook up perfectly and give you a video glimpse at what the end product will look like and what it's texture will be at several different temps for a given cut of meat. That makes the app invaluable to me. I don't have to scour the interwebs for temperature recommendations.

Kathryn

Comment

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Kathryn, do you season your pork chops before SVing?

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              No I don't, wrgilb . I find that seasonings usually end up in the purge. So after SV, I dry the chops, spritz them with avocado oil, and apply the rub before taking to the grill for a quick sear. I sear pork chops lightly to keep them moist, not like steaks where I let the sear build up.

Kathryn

I’ve tried. I like sous vide, but it rarely finds its way into my methods. I will agree on pork, it is great for pork loin roasts.

We went out to eat on Mother’s Day, I ordered a strip steak. I cut into it and immediately knew it was sous vide: reddish pink completely through, with a thin sear on both sides. And it had the sous vide texture: firm, properly done, but a little dry. It’s hard to describe, but if you sous vide a lot of steaks you know what I mean. The purge means there are no juices to run onto the plate.

It was still a good steak, and I appreciated it for what it was. But they are NOT the same.

And as for vegetables, anything you can sous vide, I can do in the microwave in 1/10th the time. Don’t sell short the science oven.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here