Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Chinese food???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide Chinese food???

First off, thanks to David Parrish for creating a separate sous vide channel. Anyway, I did this once already and it came out surprisingly good so I'm trying it a gain with a tweak or 2.

Souse vide Spare Rib Tips in Spicy Black Bean Sauce. I always have loads of rib tips vac-packed in my freezer as a result of buying full spare ribs and trimming them down to SLCs. I have been making this dish in the "traditional" way for about 30-40 years. But I haven't always loved the texture. So, on a whim I decided to incorporate sous vide to the process. I chunk up a pound or 2 of rib tips and brown them briefly in the wok with several cloves of crushed garlic and a few teaspoons of grated ginger. I cool them a bit then put everything from the wok - oil, rib tips and garlic - in a gallon foodsaver bag and vac seal it. I then cook in the water bath at 140ºF for 8 hours. I then pull them out and keep them in the bag while I do the rest. I cube up a medium to large green bell pepper and vac seal them with some oil. I sous vide them for 20 minutes (longer starts to lose the bright green color). I remove the bag and plunge it into an ice water bath to shock the peppers and set the color. Next I take a large onion and cut it into about 1" or slightly larger squares and separate the layers. I put some oil in the wok and very briefly stir fry the onions. I just want them warmed and starting to cook, but don't want them very soft. I pull them out. I then stir fry a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic for a few seconds in the wok and add my sauce incredients. Get it boiling and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. I then put the ribs, peppers and onions in and stir fry to coat with the sauce and heat through and then serve. This is a lot of steps but it lets everything cook to its own right doneness and then get it all done together. Picks later when it's done.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here