Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the proper chili accompaniments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Fritos, onions, and cheese guy. However, I'm a transplant in Omaha and these people pair chili with cinnamon rolls! I gotta say, it works! I don't eat it this way often, but if I happen to be somewhere where it is being served, I indulge.
    Last edited by dtresca; January 27, 2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never tried it, myself, but I guess the sweetness of the cinnamon rolls counterbalances the (spicy) heat of the chili.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering when someone would mention cinnamon rolls. I was going to bring that up if it hadn't been already. Interesting that it's coming from Midwesterners -- Nebraska, Iowa. Spouse likes grape jelly in his chili.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      🧐 Grape jelly in his chili??? Just thinking about it has me cringing. 😱 Huskee I promise I will never say another word to you about corn in your chili.

Fritos, cheese, sour cream, and half a cold cheese sandwich. Every now and then lightly buttered saltines instead of those other items...try it.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Buttered saltines..... yum!

Pretty much any of that depending on mood.

Comment

I voted purist not because I am a purist. To me if it's a good chili I don't need to top it with anything. For me personally you put the add ons to amp up a bland chili. I've learned here how to make a couple different chili's that need no sprucin' up.

Comment

Flour tortillas.

Comment

Diced raw onion for me as the number 1, followed by cheese.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            When do you add the pineapple?

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John for authentic Texas chili, you need to add the pineapple about an hour after the beans. Whatever you do, do not add any tomato or it will not be authentic!!!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            No tomato’s. Can you believe that sh.t? 😂

Beer and crusty sourdough bread for me. I agree with others that Frito Pie is hard to beat!

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I make a Frito pie on occasion, but often I just use a small handful in place of crackers. Crusty bread is hard to beat too.

What's "Proper", I'd haveta reckon, is what makes ya Happy, Floats Yer Boat, etc...

Reckon I've used every bit of th toppins / sides above, liked em all...

Has me a few thoughts (ow), in addition,; more to come, as others chime in...

On toppa my occasional ventures into sharp cheddar, sour cream, diced raw onions, sliced, diced fresh hot peppers, jalapeños, jarred, pickled , chipotles in adobo sauce... an alla dat above, I don't even object to some them sliced black olives from th teensy lil cans, if'n they's one in th fridge, needs finished off...

Yer favourite biscuits, cornbread, garlic toasted french bread, or even regular toast (w/garlic butter, )

Chips: doritos, fritos, store brand tortillas

th list is almost endless, but at least I done gots me th toe of my roach-killers, there, in th crack of th door, fer further on, down th road...

later, lol!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 28, 2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Jim White I’m with you regarding black olives. 🥴
            The only good olives are the ones stuffed with anchovies and soaking in good gin. Or stuffed with bleu cheese

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            +3 I can’t stand olives of any color, in or around anything or by themselves.

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Right there with you on the Black Olives from a can.

I’m a bit surprised no one selected or mentioned grilled cheese. There’s a place here in town, on cold days that’s their lunch special, bowl of chili and a grilled cheese. I’m useless the rest of the day, need a safety nap after that lunch....😂

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Around here it’s always Tomato soup with grilled cheese.

• Mark V
            Mark V commented
            Editing a comment
            I think they meant IN your chili, not with.

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy I'll agree to disagree. Chicken Noodle Soup with my grilled cheese.

OK. A proper chili needs nothing else in it, chunks of beef, no tomatoes! A tomato chili is different, more like a stew. Then
          put anything you want in it. That is like asking how you like oven baked ribs.

Comment

With a bowl o red I'll put out lime wedge,diced raw onion, grated cheddar, sliced jalapeno's, maybe some avocado, and cilantro.

Comment

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              and I'll keep it warm on the exhaust pipe on a snow-machine!

Not sure why but I'll dress my Chili-O made with kidney beans with shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream and sliced black olives (The cheap ones from a can). I've eaten it this way for so long I do not recall why I eat it this way.

I also love eating chili with a fresh baked loaf of extra fluffy bread. I love dipping the buttered bread in the chili. Yum!

Comment

I'll go with cheese, sour cream, pickled japalenos, hot sauce, AND some Fritos or corn chips. My wife prefers corn bread, so that is usually what I end up with...

Comment

My dad likes a spoon of peanut butter in his. I love peanut butter but have yet to try that.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tried a peanut butter hamburger one time. It was surprisingly good! It was on the menu at a burger place in some college town we were visiting with my daughter years ago.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here