Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the proper chili accompaniments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the proper chili accompaniments?

As I'm making some chili with left over brisket, it occurred to me.....there are so many ways people eat there chili. I'm not talking about the recipe per se (that's another thread), but what people want WITH their chili. Just thought this would be fun to hear what y'all prefer with your chili?

I'm not including salt, pepper or hot sauce in this. I kinda think those are universal to any dish. Also, I realize we probably do some combination of any or all of these. But what is the absolute must to accompany a bowl of chili?
    I'm a purist, just the chili sir
    4.35%
    grated cheese
    23.91%
    sour cream
    8.70%
    Pickled jalapeno
    2.17%
    Just crumbled up saltines
    8.70%
    Fritos are a must
    23.91%
    Cornbread
    10.87%
    Hey, what about a grilled cheese
    0%
    I only want my chili on a hotdog
    4.35%
    Other, please elaborate below
    13.04%

The poll is expired.

Diced raw onion, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. Some sort of crusty. bread for dunking on the side.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1 on the crusty bread. A good beer bread (or any simple soda bread) is great with chili.

Almost always have a bag of Fritos when I make up a pot of chili. Particularly the Scoops. The kids love them too so it makes it easier to get them to eat a bowl of chili. I also like cheese and sometimes sour cream but if I forget to grab them from the fridge it isn't a huge deal to me.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothin' better than a Frito pie made with homemade chili. Yum!

All of the above, I'm not a purist of any kind when it comes to chili.
    Usually right outta the pot but if I see something that stikes my fancy, I'm on it.

Comment

A bowl and a spoon.

Comment

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        And beer.

I chose jalapenos, but I also like a few saltines with mine.

Comment

Grew up in North Texas, we topped with crumbled saltines, fresh diced onion, and cheddar. I personally do not do the fresh onion.

Here in SE Texas the locals serve it over rice - probably due to the big Cajun influence here. I've lived here 21 years and I still think it is weird.

Comment

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife does that but then again her chili is more like hamburger stew so I can't complain too much...She wont touch the good stuff!

I like cheese, sour cream (as voted on) and raw onion. Scallions are cool, too. And oyster crackers are fun. And an icy cold Pilsner!

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          I like warm tortillas, either flour or corn, for scooping and dipping.

If I’m making a good Texas bowl of red, I only sprinkle on some diced onions and grated cheese. With a little Tobasco Sauce. Never will I ruin a good chili by putting crumbled up crackers in it. To me that is blasphemy and ruins the taste. If the recipe called for crackers I’d a put em in there. I eat them on the side though, but a good garlic bread or toast of some kind is better. I had a friend come over once and he crumbled up a whole handful of crackers and put them in his bowl of my....4 hour in the making, Texas Chili. I gave him a good natured ass chewing. Anytime I made chili after that and he was over, I handed him one saltine at a time. True Dat.
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 27, 2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a big saltine on anything guy.
          They get soggy and turn into wallpaper paste.

PBR, heh, heh, heh.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course. Goes without saying.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Jfrosty27 , the next time I’m in Oconomowoc I’m going to have to take a pic of the Pabst mansion. I used to clean a few houses on Oconomowoc Lake. One was right next door, saw that place 2X a year for 12 years. It was built like a castle. That ought to light up bbqLuv .

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Satire is the greatest form of flattery, heh, heh, heh
          FireMan, you are correct -- PBR.

Saltines, cheese, onion, sliced jalapenos, and corn bread

Comment

As the local proselytizer for Frito Chili Pie, I had to vote Fritos.

And cheddar, and fresh onions, and sour cream, and jalapenos...

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Nailed it.

Would have loved to pick more than one.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Hadda go with 'Other'

Saltines and Alka-Seltzer

Comment

Sharp cheddar, red onions.
            ​​​​it shouldn't need any extra heat.

can be served over either rice, or cornbread

Comment

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have to keep things mild if I'm planning to feed it to my kids, so I do have to add heat after if I want it (I want it!).

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here