Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Osso Bucco Recipe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Osso Bucco Recipe...

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a good Osso Bucco recipe that I can do on the smoker, or grill. I've made this a few times on the stove and it's wonderfule. Takes a very long time to braise on the stove but well worth the effort. I can't believe I haven't thought about doing it outside before now but, I'm curious if anyone here has tried it?? It's one of the "beefiest" tasting meats that I've had but, it's tough. I can only imagine that it would take a low-and-slow process outside. Any good recipes out there?

All the ones I find are for slow cookers

Comment

That's all I've found as well.

Comment

This is a great idea. I've done a million ossu bucco indoors but never thought to try this cut on the smoker. I'd like to hear from the smoking experts whether it would be better to use veal versus beef. I would think the latter as the more mature, more marbled beef cuts would probably stand up to the smoke flavor better.

As for a recipe, I could see this going a few directions. It's probably great with just salt and pepper, but any of the various spice rubs and combos on this website for beef ribs or brisket would work well if you are not beholden to keeping it Italian. Then some low and slow cooking for a few hours until it gets fork tender (but not completely falling apart). Probably want to tie some twin around them to make sure they keep their shape. If you go for it let us know how it turns out.

Comment

You are correct. From what I've found...the beef has the most marbling. It's not a cheap cut, although years ago it was. I think that I may have an experiment on my hands if I don't get/find any recipes for the grill/smoker.

Comment

Sounds tasty. Would miss the broth but smoked shank on polenta would be good.

Comment

That was my concern as well.... The broth! Perhaps that could somehow be done with the drippings?? Or, could be done inside.

Comment

I've been meaning to make this on my Kamado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWi7UhKowA

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here