Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frito Chili Pie: Essential Comfort Food or Crime Against Nature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well..... way back in the 60's in little ol Larned, KS. There was a Drive up Diner...... Lloyds Drive In Diner. He made what as I remember something called a Frito Pie. Similar to what is being discussed here. His Take was a hamburger concoction with yummy spices (a Coney Dog Chili consistency) with sweet pickle relish. Open bag of Fritos.... pour the "chili" in the bag top off with shredded cheddar, onions.......... my was it delicious!!!!

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to have to think about the sweet pickle relish.

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet pickle relish. Like @JimWhite I will need to think about that too.

holehogg I didn't have a recipe but it was something like this:

1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    3 oz tomato paste
    3 tablespoons chili powder (McCormick or Gebhardt's by preference)
    Knorr beef bullion powder, heaping tablespoon.
    water
    granulated garlic, about 2 tsp.
    cumin, about 1 tsp
    oregano, about 1 tbsp.
    coriander, about 1/2 tsp.
    hot sauce to taste. I used a couple teaspoons of Tapatio.
    salt & papper to taste.
    pinch of sugar, just enough to take the acidity of the tomato paste down.

Sauce the onion until it's starting to soften, brown the grout beef then add the tomato paste and mix it in. Add enough water to dissolve the tomato paste and bullion, and then start seasoning.

What you're looking for flavor wise is mostly the chili powder and tomato paste. The cumin should be there, but not jump out at you. The heat should have just the slightest of kicks.

To assemble the bag I used about half of the chips. Crunch the chips a bit then take out about half, layer in a bunch of chili and nacho sauce, add the rest of the chips back, more chili and nacho sauce. Top with a big handful of finely shredded cheddar, diced white onion, pickled Jalapeños and an unhealthy amount of sour cream. Douse in hot sauce.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Sir I appreciate you taking the time to do this and I will use this recipe. Have all the ingredients just not sure of the heat of the chili powder. I have some really hot ones I haven't come across a mild one these parts yet. I'll visit the spice shop up the road and check, haven't been there in a while and my tamarind paste is running low. Thanks again for your effort.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ground beef 80/20 or 90/10 ?

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Either will work but I'd lean more toward the 90/10 for this, but really, with the 80/20 you'll just need to get rid of some fat. Or use some flour so the fat makes a roux, we ain't talking' health food here. Just adjust the texture so it's fairly wet, but not runny.

This is essential. The walking taco version is also a worthy alternative. I’m in the eat what you like camp so no judgement here anyway.

Comment

Frito chili pie ! Couple of things here: 1. Interesting, I’m going to have to give it a try.
      2. Yes, we are in the Smithsonian or some histerical membership of sumthin. And just think, this may have gotten us over the top! Yessir!

Comment

Since there're couple of other chili recipes up, here's what I call Batchelor Chili; learned if from the husband.
        It's basic, fast to put together, easy to eat and tasty. You can add more heat if desired. It is also good for parties so people can doctor it up with sour cream, onions, hot sauces, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, pico de gallo, etc. And yes it has beans.

I have never had it over Fritos. But I will soon.

Batchelor Chili
        1 lb leanish ground beef
        1-3 tablepoons of chili (con carne) seasoning of your choice.
        1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or more, to taste)
        1/2 tsp granulated garlic
        1/2 tsp onion powder
        Two 28 oz can chili beans (these are just beans with chili seasoning)

Brown the burger over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet. When finished add the chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic and onion powder; cook briefly then turn the heat down to low.

Open the beans, drain one. Dump both cans into the meat on the stove. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or so.

Taste for seasoning. You probably won't need any if the chili powder and beans are salted.

Eat over bread and cheese, corn bread, on crackers, over rice, with any of the usual fixings as mentioned above: sour cream, onions, hot sauces, lettuce, cheese, tomatos, pico de gallo.

I like it plain. And I gotta try it over a bag of Fritos. I am prepared for heartburn.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Soon! Over Fritos!

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan Please have pics for us when you make it!

Jim White Thanks for reminding us about Frito Chili Pie. Tonight was probably the first time I’ve had it in 30 years. And it was good. I’m stuffed and can hardly move. It’s all I can do to lift my Jack and Coke!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 26, 2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John , finishing up the bowl and still getting the drink in--we know you could do it! :-)

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like a fantastic pie! Glad you enjoyed.

Damn, now I need to make some good Texas chili and use it for Frito Pies. 25-30 years since having one myself.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Don’t forget the carrots!

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          What about raisins?

Look what yall made me go and do....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4142.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	917059

Name:	IMG-4143.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	917060

It's like being in third grade again. (Albeit, the Tapatio is an enhancement.) Also, wow, there is nothing remotely healthy about any of this lol.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          👍 Ha ha ha...... Hey.... Where’s the onions?
          Last edited by Panhead John; September 27, 2020, 03:58 PM.

wasn't it invented at the Texas state fair, along with the corn dog?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          You guys are terrible Panhead John Red Man

• Jakerpancaker
          Jakerpancaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha! A few months late here but a great moment in history Panhead John

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Jakerpancaker (I luv that name😂) This is really a great post. Hope you can read it from start to finish. It’s worth it.
          Last edited by Panhead John; January 15, 2021, 07:58 AM.

I had to dust off this old thread tonight because I made a special batch of chili today. As I noted in the opening when I started the thread, I have a friend here in town who, like me, comes from Oklahoma and considers Frito chili pie essential comfort food. Unfortunately, she has tested positive for COVID-19. Naturally, she requested a #BBQDriveBy for some Frito chili pie. I had to respond.

So yesterday I smoked about 3 pounds of chuck roast to about 170 (the smaller piece I broke off got cooked to tender for pulled beef sandwiches for my wife and me last night) along with some onions and poblanos.

Name:	2021-01-13 13.01.15-1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	974051

Today i chopped it up into cubes and added lots of goodies to make a giant pot of chili, including several previously roasted and frozen Hatch Big Jim red chiles.

Name:	2021-01-14 13.41.56.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	974052

It turned out great!

Name:	2021-01-14 15.05.29.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	974053

There was cornbread, too.

Name:	2021-01-14 16.12.17-1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	974054

So we packed the chili and cornbread up with the rest of the goodies to do it right and dropped it off at the front door.

Name:	2021-01-14 17.10.24.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	974055

Of course, she didn't get all of what I cooked!

Name:	2021-01-14 18.46.19.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	974056

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for reviving. I needed a reminder to do this again.

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          That does look pretty fantastic.

Do you do mail-order?

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          BEANS?!?! somebody get a rope...

Generally speaking...I HATE Fritos. HATE them!
        BUT...
        One of my brothers makes a chili cheese dip that he ALWAYS serves with Fritos...and I can pretty much destroy all of it if left alone. LOL

Sooooo, given that...and based on the images above...I’d probably destroy this as well. I guess it’s about context.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here