Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Goes In Your Chili?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just take a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and add chili powder.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles Panhead John You top the bowl of chili with diced pineapple and Greek yogurt.
      Last edited by 58limited; September 9, 2020, 06:55 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey smokin fool We were wondering how much pineapple we should put in
      our chili and do you also add Greek Yogurt?

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Negative with the yogurt, that's just gross.
      Depends on the size of the batch but not more than a small can, picked it up from a buddy who made a pretty good chili for these parts

Carrots in chili? Was this thread about chili or salad?

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya know, yer into somethin there Ol Taxi. I never considered carrots in chili until this post. I’ll probably ferget all about em when I make my next batch to.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They add a little crunch and some sweetness.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I have resigned myself to the fact there are 2 kinds of chili. Texas Chili and OP Chili. Now I feel better!

Whew - I finally got to the end!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper It’s shame your post didn’t get much traffic.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I shall have to try harder next time ;-)

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      In the short time I’ve been here, that was definitely the best post I’ve been in, and the most fun.

According to Merriam-Webster chili usually has beans
    a hot pepper of any of a group of cultivars (Capsicum annuum annuum group longum) noted for their pungency; a pepper whether hot or sweet; a thick sauce of meat and chilies… See the full definition

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD1F6E5-CF93-4716-A406-3A48707A5589.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	910886

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Bastards! Git a rope!
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 14, 2020, 08:16 AM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      And we all know that book publishers are usually the last word on chili.

Chili ... no beans or tomatoes. casserole, soup, stew, hot dish, go for it. Also no ground meat, did I have to say that? Argh.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Ground beef is perfectly fine in Texas Chili, a lot of people use it, along with Chuck Steak or Chuck Roast, or Chuck by itself. Canned tomatoes and tomato sauce is also perfectly acceptable and is widely used in Texas Chili.
      There are some hard core Texas Chili purists who don’t use tomato’s. I use a combination of all of the above. SmokingPat and Mark V
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 15, 2020, 07:50 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Since Chili is basically a poor person’s food, ground beef is not off limits.

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok so don't be a purist and do what you like. I can get with that and encourage it! But still, the best chili I have ever made has been with cubed beef, no tomatoes, etc.

Oh, dark chocolate -- that sounds good!
    Does baking chocolate work, or does it have to be 'eating chocolate'?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The key difference between baking and eating chocolate is sugar ..... I use either, whatever I have handy.

A spoon. 🤣😂

Comment

Sorry I’m late to the party but jeez, 45 mins later and a clean shave I made it to the end! I have always found myself taking the Huskee approach and adding whatever I think sounds good because I like experimenting and I’m not from Texas, so there😁:

beef usually, or whatever. I haven’t added bacon which I saw earlier in this thread and that is definitely getting added next time and probably forever thereafter. Curious to hear what flavor of bacon everyone uses.
      carrots
      corn
      whatever color bell pepper I have
      red onion
      celery
      black beans (I love how a lot of other chili additions are ok but it seems like adding beans are like someone calling your kid ugly)
      chipotles in adobo, the peppers and the sauce. My wife is not a "spicy" person so I am always walking the tightrope of adding enough but not too much.
      normal chili seasonings like cumin, chili powder, garlic, onion powder, etc, tomato sauce based, but I’ve been adding a very small amount of cinnamon, yes cinnamon, and it small doses it just seems to compliment everything really well. For you fellow heathens willing to try it be warned it’s very easy to overdo. Maybe 1/4t per 4 quarts, but I’ve never actually measured it so start small. Once I tried it I’ve never made a batch since without at least a little sprinkle.

The consistency is always thick. I want enough liquid in the pot to keep everything simmering but not much more. And when I put that chili/stew/goulash/concrete in my bowl I top it with fresh Jalapeños or serranos, gratuitous fresh grated cheddar and sour cream, then use your spoon to mix it all together into a homogenous blob. Then lick your spoon, put it to the side and eat the whole bowl with the bag of Fritos scoops.

That’s Texas style, right?

Not sorry. Blasphemy chili?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        If it tastes good, it ain't wrong!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        UPDATE: Andrrr My first read of your post, I just skimmed it after seeing carrots and corn. You came sooo close to Texas Chili. When I saw "beef or whatever" did you mean chicken or turkey also? If so, a big no no. Chuck steak, hamburger, sometimes pork is used with beef. If you must use bell pepper, it should be green. NO carrots or corn, few people use celery, no beans. Other than that, you pretty much nailed it. That would then be a perfectly fine "Texas Chili." 👍

Attached Files

Comment

What do you put in chili? Whatever floats your boat. I like mine rather traditional. I don't mess with veggies like carrots or corn, for example. Some people don't like beans in their chili - I won't make mine without beans.

It's all subjective. To each their own.

Comment

In case folks are late to the game .... this whole post is an insider conversation between me, Panhead John and Mr. Bones :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here