Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate it when this happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate it when this happens

Made a pot of Senate Navy Bean Soup late yesterday. I used a boneless Boar shoulder I smoked overnight.
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e30#post883308
    Added a couple of Boar shanks and a ham hock in chicken stock for the stock. Rancho Gordo Flagelet beans, sauteed onions, celery, and garlic. A couple of russet potatoes cubed and apple cider vinegar.
    Finished it about 9:00 last night and ate a bowl right away, turned out delicious.
    Left it on the stove to cool a little then in frig until today when I would take some pictures and post them..................brain fart! I got up this morning and there it was sitting on the stove still in the pot. Damn, down the drain and no pictures!

I would have had another bowl full and put it in the fridge

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Woulda, coulda, shoulda!!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      If ofelles keeps it up, I'm diverting his drain to my house.

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't bother asking how I know, but if you ain't had food poisoning from beans, you've never been sick. Group of us had lunch at a little taco shop years ago. We were able to determine that it was the beans because it was the only thing each had eaten. Also talked to a couple of others that ate there that day and were sick also. Only one other time I have been that sick, and that was traced to beans also. One of the guys that was with us ended up in the hospital with seizures.

We feel your pain.

Comment

I’ve been there and done that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        As have I, an more than oncet...

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise. Usually with chili, or soup, or Sunday sauce.

I almost clicked like, then I realized I needed a dislike button. Man, I hate that. I bet that was some good soup.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        We really do need a "Damn Sorry" button next to the “Like’ button. We seem to be having more than a few posts where Like just doesn’t cover it.

Honestly, I probably would have kept eating it. I know that doesn't follow food safety guidelines.

When you say "boar shoulder", was this from a wild pig? Or is the butcher just getting creative with naming cuts?

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        BFlynn Yes wild pig shoulder. It was very tempting to keep it but not worth the possible illness.
        Last edited by ofelles; July 20, 2020, 11:39 AM.

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Wild pig might have given me pause..... can't wait til the Fall. I need another pig in the freezer. My buddy has a pecan farm in Louisiana, and they definitely taste better after they've eaten all his pecans.

Oh come on now, how many of you have gotten up from an overnight drunk so hungry you could eat shoe leather, see that last slice of pizza that's been sitting out and devour the heck out of it !!! Come on now admit it....you did that didn't you ???

Hey, bacteria gotta eat too right ???

OK just kidding. Better apply the humor disclaimer. Food borne pathogens and bacteria could land you in the hospital, want to stay away from the Covid-19 characters !!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, btdt, right afore I took a slug of warm, flat beer, with a few cigarette butts in it...

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Breakfast of champions, cold pizza and warm beer....got that t-shirt in many sizes.
        Mr. Bones the butts in the beer bottle gave me the heebie jeebies, that's one lousy t-shirt.
        Even worse chewing tabacco juice in the beer bottle....I'm gunna hurl!!!!

• Dick Anderson
        Dick Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        BTDT, gonna hurl just hearing about it!

On a couple of occasions I've ruined a good pot of food through dumb mistakes. One time when I was working nights I fell asleep during the day while cooking a pot of spaghetti. The entire bottom burned and the flavor permeated through the entire pot of sauce. 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce down the drain.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ¡schuldig!

• jerrybell
        jerrybell commented
        Editing a comment
        Similar situation once. We were canning sauerkraut and heating it up to hot pack. Someone let the kettle run dry and infused about three gallons of kraut with essence of charred kraut. We canned it and tried a few different dishes to mask the taste but there was no escaping it.

• DiverDriver
        DiverDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        YUP... Mine was worse Chili. Beans were black as coal stuck 1/2" thick to kettle bottom.

My sympathies. I'm sure the next pot will be great, too.

Comment

Hey get with it. Ya coulda taken pics of the concoction & we wouldn’t have known the difference.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          @FieMan And I thought my mind was devious! You win 😁

I'd probably keep it, but if you are one of those folks who has a compromised immune system it's definitely riskier. For me, just bring it up to boil and I'm willing to roll the dice!

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Went back and forth a couple of times. But my immune system has seen better days darn it.
          Last edited by ofelles; July 21, 2020, 01:58 AM.

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm of the 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' ideology. Hence, when it comes to ingesting things, I'm a very, very strong individual!

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb as long as I don't eat something that makes me wish it had killed me

Ok for those of us that think too much. What would have been wrong with putting it back on the stove for a simmer for a while then eating it? I doubt that it had started to smell bad, just some fears about a bug or two starting to get going. I'm not advocating something that has set all night and part of the next day, just something you didn't get put away last night.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not a food safety expert, I don't have an answer. My opinion (just an opinion) is bugs started, and a simmer would have killed them.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s not just bacteria and mold, there are some chemical changes as well. The waste products of bacteria. Things turn poisonous.

For me, the temptation would be strong, but I rationalize tossing stuff by figuring that the whole thing probably costs less than $20, and took maybe 4-5 hours. So it’s like playing blackjack for 4 hours and losing only $20. Then I don’t feel so bad.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          The danger is that botulism spores do their job in the food while in the unsafe temp range. The spores produce the botulism toxin, which no amount of cooking gets rid of. Bacteria produce other toxins that you cannot cook out. Sure - you can kill the bacteria themselves, but the poison remains.

That soup sounds amazing! Sorry for your loss 😢

Comment

Could of be a cure for Covid after a night on top of the stove.
          Now we'll never know.
          You probably did the right thing tossing it but there's the Gremlin on your right shoulder saying....Dude, its fine....

Comment

One time I was making a batch of hot sauce and I decided to add some fresh cilantro to it. Well, I didn't grab cilantro....I grabbed mint. I ruined a 6 quart batch of hot sauce.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              ouch!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here