Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Stock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Stock Question

I have a bunch of saved chicken parts in the freezer and need to clear some space. Some of the spines and necks were just tossed in a Ziploc bag and have a good amount of freezer burn. Should I care at all since I'm not eating them and just using them for stock? Will it have much impact on the final product?

Freezer burn to me has an off taste. If you can, trim it off an use the rest of the bone..

Comment

Completely defrost all the pieces and drain. Then..... Ok, hang on to your seat.... THOROUGHLY RINSE ALL OF YOUR PARTS. You can rinse thoroughly and painstakingly, piece by piece as I do. Or you cans fill and drain a large cambro or stock pot multiple times, collander and dunk, soak and pull or any variations of.

drain the bones and roast dark. Then make your stock from there.

be sure to use parchment/foil or the pan will be a pain to clean

get your finger all in those parts and such to clean the crud out. Don’t roast a chicken thigh or meat but rinse well. Bones n such do roast.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ , Erik said in another topic that he always washes his chicken. That's what I recalled when I read this post. I'm just curious why he washes any raw chicken before cooking.

K.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Homes confided in me that he likes the feel of raw chicken....ssssssh don't tell anyone.....

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc Like surfdog said. Eliminates a TON of crud. Also run your fingers in the spine after breaking it in two. Get rid of all that black part from
        organs. Such a cleaner stock. In no longer blanch but that a "hella clean" stock. 👍 i personally found that I lost a little flavor. Some mouth feel perhaps. Not sure really, just something? Wings, wing tips and chicken feet roasted are perfect. At work it was whole wings and chicken feet. Home feet and wing tips or just tips.

I also freeze chicken carcasses for stock. One thing I've noticed though is roasted bones, by themselves, simply do not deliver enough 'chicken flavor'. So, I will typically mix in some raw meat as well - the smaller chopped the better. This is something I've learned over the years through trial and error.

Comment

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. Is there a particular part you prefer to use? I need to take a trip to the store to get some celery to add, so maybe I'll grab something to toss in. I have a pretty good collection of spines, necks, feet, and a carcass or two from a cooked whole chicken that are all going in.

JeffJ , do you get that grayish foam on your stock as it cooks when you use raw meat instead of roasted bones? I hate skimming yucky foam.

Kathryn

Comment

jumbo7676 The part doesn't really matter. I usually go with whatever is cheapest. fzxdoc No - I don't get foam from raw chicken. Also, I don't use it in lieu of roasted bones, I use it in addition to roasted bones. My stock pot has a built in colander. Once the stock is done I lift out the colander and it removes most of the stuff. The stock itself will still be cloudy so will put a fine mesh conical strainer in its stand in another stock pot and pour the stock through the strainer. The end result is a beautiful looking (and tasting) stock. No foam to skim.

Comment

I tend to use the left over carcass from a roasted or beer can chicken. I know that is the not the raw, cleanest, purest chicken flavor because of the rub and smoke, but I like the rich flavor from all the leftover small meat on the bones.

But, honest question, is there a downside to using a pre-cooked bird, other than non-traditional stock flavor? I wonder if I am missing something.

(pics are from last weekend. I tend to freeze the stock in large ice trays. Before my fridge died and I could still freeze things!)

Attached Files

Comment

• pknj
            pknj commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks - that makes a lot of sense. I think I need to be less lazy and plan for a ‘from scratch’ approach and compare the result. Well, next weekend!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I make broth from smoked birds all the time. It adds a richness to the broth, IMO. Like surfdog, I don't add salt at all, preferring to keep it as low sodium as possible.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            IMHO if their are no complaints than that’s there is money my friend. Nice work! Do a side by side and see the mouth feel difference from the gelatin and clean taste.

I never do the cooked carcass anymore unless I’m desperate. Too many complaints from the customers at home. Too Smokey, not normal stock, the rice taste funny etc.. fogettaboutit.

edit: I also don’t use celery unless need to use it. FIFO
          Last edited by HouseHomey; April 26, 2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• pknj
            pknj commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m really surprised at that - just that much more flavor, but now that I think about it, I do get some push back when I smoke the turkey at Thanksgiving. Mostly the old folks, who apparently want rubber and no flavor - just like grandma used to make it!

I use mainly/all back portions. They are $.59/lb when chicken goes on sale by me. I roast them first. I usually also add some feet, which I have not roasted up until now, but will after reading something HouseHomey wrote somewhere here. I roast my mirepoix, too, although lately, I have cut back on the amount of mirepoix. My last batch in the 10qt Instant Pot had great chicken flavor. I also don't add salt.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Roasted Chicken feet and backs is pretty good! I also had good luck a couple times with the frozen wings that have that big percentage of solution. Came out kinda nice. Ain’t worth a darn for eating though.

I personally like the added nuance that a smoked bird carcass adds to the stock.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here