Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for easy bean soup recipe using leftover city ham bone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for easy bean soup recipe using leftover city ham bone.

Just looking for a simple recipe that I can put to use with our leftover Easter ham bone. It's pretty large so I don't know if it will fit with beans in my crockpot. Might have to use a big pot on the stove. Plenty of meat left on the bone as well. Thanks in advance!

2 pounds dried white beans (or navy beans, pintos, whatever you have handy, but white beans are best)
    ham bone
    bouquet of bay leaves, thyme, parsley, celery leaves tied in a cheese cloth
    1 medium onion, peeled, whole
    1 medium carrot, peeled, whole
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    6 slices of bacon, whole
    4-6 whole garlic cloves

soak beans based on instructions, if they are grocery store beans, overnight for sure.
    add all ingredients to soup pot, cover with 3 quarts water
    bring to boil for 5 minutes
    turn down to simmer for 90 minutes
    remove all the ingredients from the bean soup except beans and stock and peppercorns.
    Salt/pepper the stock to taste
    remove all ham from bone, discard bone
    discard bouquet
    Chop up onion, bacon, carrot (will be mushy)
    add everything back to the beans/stock
    simmer for another 90 minutes or until beans are to your desired tenderness

Serve and enjoy
    Last edited by ecowper; April 16, 2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Split peas - dried 2 lbs instead of white beans. I prefer the carrots chopped as well and would use 2-3 carrots. Cover in chicken stock if you have it. Everything else the same. I like the peas to really cook down ala Anderson's Pea Soup consistency.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      This is like reading my mind. You can also add celery, potatoes (yes, you can), green or red pepper. It’s soup. It’s going to be good.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca absolutely .... this is just the most basic soup to make with a ham bone. It's easy to do and makes a great soup

Make black-eyed peas! If you want a recipe for a pressure cooker let me know. So good you can use them for sexual favors from the significant other...

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      As your avatar suggests....

Red beans and rice. Soak light red kidney beans (dark red ones won’t cream up) in water over night. Chop one onion, one half bell pepper, and three or four cloves of garlic. Sweat them in some oil in a Dutch oven. Drain the beans and add them and the ham bone and water to cover. If you have a few bay leaves add them, salt, black pepper and hot sauce to taste. Simmer most of the day until beans are tender and creamy. If necessary add more water. Serve over cooked rice.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I need this.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats pretty much how we do it except we use chicken stock and some cayenne.

Senate Navy Bean Soup.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that’s a great choice too. If not, use my beans and ham recipe above :-)

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      This was first thought also. Love the stuff.

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, very simple and delicious. I keep a bookmark, here it is if anybody's interested. I usually make half recipe and substitute ham bone for hocks.

Last edited by johnec00; April 17, 2020, 04:34 PM.

For ham and bean soup I like to boil a couple of potatoes, puree them up in some ham broth and stir them into the soup and thicken it that way in lieu of a roux, corn-starch slurry, etc.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Or you can cheat and use instant potato flakes.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That works jus fine, an added to my "Bag O Tricks"!
      That bein said, what I prefers to do, (given time) is simmer em down, lid cracked, to desired consistency...not always possible, based upon time constraints, etc.
      2nd Place, I pull a cuppa beans (or two), as needed, depends on batch size, smush em up good an proper, stir back in...this is, admittedly, a Cheat.
      Thanks fer givin me some additional alternatives to add to my quiver, amigos JeffJ Mosca texastweeter
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 18, 2020, 02:20 PM.

Red Beans and Rice in the Instant Pot--so close the the real deal: https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/a...eans-and-rice/

But I'm making Split Pea Soup with my hambone.

Kathryn's Split Pea Soup
    Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients:

2 cups onion (2 medium onions)
    2 cups carrots (6 -10 oz bag of shredded carrots. More carrots makes the soup sweeter.)
    2 cups celery (5-6 stalks including the green leaves in the core)
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    6 cups homemade chicken broth or ham broth
    1 lb split peas, washed and checked for stones (or ½ lb each green and yellow split peas (sometimes sold as "yellow split beans")
    1 tsp dried cumin
    ½ tsp turmeric
    1 tsp dried coriander seeds (or ½ tsp ground coriander)
    2 Tbsp. dried parsley
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups diced baked ham (plus ham bone or smoked ham hock) (this works great: a small 2 lb smoked ham, bone in, like you can get from Honeybaked). Dice the good portions, and bag the not-as-good sections along with the bone in a bag made of food quality gauze (large gauze rectangle with the corners tied into knots).) This makes the removal of the ham bone or ham hock along with the other inedible pieces easy at the end of the cook.

salt and pepper to taste (added after cooking because ham or broth can be salty)

Sour crème
    Chopped chives
    Dry sherry

Note: if you don’t have a ham bone or ham hock, add 4 slices of thick sliced smoked bacon. Remove the bacon before puréeing the soup

Directions:
    1. Chop the celery, carrots, and onion together in a food processor.
    2. Add olive oil to large soup pot and cook the vegetable mixture for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
    3. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute longer, until you can smell the garlic.
    4. Add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring the soup to a boil. Note: you can add the diced ham at the end of the cook, just long enough to warm it through before the purée step.
    5. Cover and cook on low for 1 ½ hours, or until the peas are tender, or
      1. Crock pot method: Start the broth to heat on high setting of crock pot. Sauté the vegetables, add the spices to the vegetable mixture, and then add the entire mixture to the Crock Pot. Dice the ham and add it and the gauze bag with the bones and more inedible ham bits to the crock pot. Or add diced ham at the end, allowing it to warm through before blending the soup. Cook on high until mixture starts to simmer, then switch to low; total cooking time 6-8 hours. This recipe fills a large crock pot (8 quarts) just over ¾ full, as recommended.
    6. Remove the bay leaves and the bacon or the ham bone/hock in the gauze bag.
    7. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup while still in the crockpot or soup pot.
    8. Season to taste with salt and pepper
    9. Serve by adding a "glug" of dry sherry, a dollop of sour crème, and a sprinkling of chopped chives to each bowl.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 17, 2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooooohhhhhh... ooohhh ooh. Words left me i am going to type this into paprika can i name it Kathyn's most excellent split pea soup extraordinaire?
      Last edited by klflowers; April 17, 2020, 11:27 AM.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Another person who has Paint the Kitchen Red bookmarked!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You sure can, klflowers. I'm flattered.

Kathryn

My simple Bean and Ham soup

Soak 1 lb. of dry Great Northern beans over night.

Drain and rinse in the morning

Add the beans back to the pot

Add the following to the pot
    Water to cover the beans twice. (if there are 3 inches of beans in your pot add 6 inches of water)
    2 to 4 cut up carrots
    2 to 4 ribs of celery cut up
    1 tablespoon or more granulated Onion
    1 teaspoon or more granulated Garlic
    Big squirt of yellow mustard
    Two big squirts of ketchup
    A bunch of ham and the ham bone

Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or more stirring quite frequently. (This will break down some of the beans to thicken the soup)

Right before serving stir in a stick of butter until dissolved.

Serve with fresh baked bread.

Comment

WOW these are all great ideas! I'll settle on one this weekend and let you all know how it turns out. It's going to be rainy and in the lower 60's so a good weekend for the dish. Thanks all!

-Fritz

Comment

+1 on Hulagn1971 comment!!!

Comment

I don't have a recipe, but I am not far from fzxdoc when I do make it. The turmeric and cumin are new, I may have to try it.

Oddly enough we just talked about this on another thread (no recipes), again I am with Kathryn here, ham bones are split peas and ham. Red beans and rice I get a smoked ham hock. While Kathryn does Instant Pot, I use a slow cooker, here's the recipe I use.

Made a batch not long ago, and just had the last helping for lunch today. I don't soak the beans, they get plenty tender enough.

Comment

I will say this....I've hydrated beans on a few occasions and never found them to be noticeably better than canned beans. Nowadays, I don't even bother and just use canned beans.

Comment

• DreamOn
              DreamOn commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too since I tend to collect them when they are BOGO on sale 🙂

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Me three; I've posted multiple canned bean cooks, over to th "Beans"
              Don't hurt my pride, one bit lol

All great ideas here. I haven’t used potatoes yet, but I do add diced up tomatoes to mine. FWIW.

Comment

This thread was perfect timing since I was planning on making soup from a leftover ham bone from Easter. Roasted the ham bone with onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Added it all to a stockpot with fresh thyme, parsley, peppercorns, bay leaves and 1 quart of homemade rich chicken broth and then enough cold water to cover. Simmer covered for about 4-5 hrs and then strained.

Beans and meat will be added tomorrow.
              Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got my bowl right here...

Kathryn

Used ecowper recipe. It was the best bean soup I've ever made. Wife said was the best meal I've made in a long time. Paired it with a grilled cheese.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0419202039.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	835197Click image for larger version

Name:	0419202041.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	835198

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm licking the screen looking at that!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here