Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Chili Rules With Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Chili Rules With Chuck

The final item remaining in my Strategic Freezer Reserve from my stock-up trip just before starting more serious social isolation was a 3.5 pound chuck roast. I bought it with chili in mind and have had 2-3 weeks to think about how I wanted to make it. I've made Kenji's authentic Texas recipe a couple of times and Meathead's recipe from here a couple of times. I decided to take what I like most about both and add a big change at the beginning. I've never been satisfied with the sear I've gotten with either recipe so I decided to completely forego the sear and to just cook the chuck all the way to to "pulled beef" consistency on the grill. Here's the SMC recording. I initially planned to cook to an internal of 205, but I decided to go ahead and pull it off the grill at 195. That was partly impatience and partly concern that the meat might dry out after such a long cook without a water pan. I cooked at 275 with three large hickory chunks. I dry brined overnight and then sprinkled liberally with pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cook.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	828347

The fire almost got away from me very early so I went ahead and opened up the Kamado to throw in some poblano peppers, a jalapeno and an onion. After closing I got the top vent adjusted properly and the temp held really well. I pulled the veggies after an hour and a half.

I prefer the ease of Kenji's method of blooming the dry chiles in a hot skillet and then popping them into boiling broth to hydrate before putting into the blender. I went with two anchos, two guajillos, a mulato and a pasilla. I also put one of my smoked poblanos in the broth because it was a bit too small and went to moderately crispy on the grill. I had about the last third of a small can of chipotles in adobo, so in they went. I combined the puree with a large can of chopped tomatoes, two cans of dark red kidney beans, a little oregano, cinnamon, salt and baking chocolate. I simmered that quite a while so that it wouldn't have to simmer much once the meat came off the grill and went in.

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	828350

For not having had any sugar in a rub, the chuck developed an amazing, very dark bark.

Name:	IMG_0911(1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	828348

I was just a bit worried that it had dried out on me, as I haven't smoked a chuckie all the way before. But it was fine:

Name:	IMG_0912(1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	828349

So I pulled about two thirds of the roast. (Stay tuned for what the other third goes into on Friday or Saturday).

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	828351

Into the pot it went, and after 20 or 30 minutes of simmering, I hit it with some pulverized Tostitos and Fritos. (Frito chili pie for me tomorrow! My wife refuses to participate in that Oklahoma tradition.) I also added the juice and zest of a lime. The bark softened up with simmering and everything was incredibly tender.

At least for our tastes, my wife and I both think this was pretty much the best chili I've made. We had it tonight just topped with a little cheese and with Alex Guarnaschelli's skillet cornbread. Yum.

Name:	IMG_0922 (2).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	828352

Excellent write up and photos Jim. Love the look of that chuckie. Only issue I have is I’m Texan and beans in one’s chili is an anathema. But hey, bet it and that corn bread tasted amazing !!

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

Yeah. Chili has been a Christmas Eve tradition in my wife's family for a couple of generations. And she insists it have beans. After 40 years of marriage, I've come around to preferring them, too. And I decided the beans would do a lot of what Meathead says the carrots do in his.

With the cinnamon, chilies, and chocolate it sounds like you built an excellent mole sauce.

Comment

That had me drooling!! Great pics! Cannot wait to see what happens with the rest. I am doing a Chuckie tomorrow. Just going to chop mine. Great bark and looked very juicy!

Comment

Great post, Brother; I very much enjoyed!!
        To my likin, that there looks like a perfect chuckie, both inside, an out; certainly, worthy of magazine, cookbook, website, etc.
        Also, very much thanks fer sharin yer new hybrid reciept with us all....kinda a chili guy, here.
        Lastly, but certainly not least: great pics, as well!

Nicely Done, Sir!

Comment

Looks great! Personally, I think whatever you like belongs in chili! Not sure I've ever made chili the same twice. Certainly not in a row.

Comment

Wunerful, wunerful, wunerful post Jim! Great cook and write up, but what, no butternut squash?!!

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              I was all out of that! But that one did get my attention.

This looked like a very good chilli indeed..

Comment

Name:	Thumbs up emoji.png
Views:	262
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	828510

Comment

That is some beautiful chili. It's a great way to utilize smoked chuck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here